Chapter 1: Cream Cheese

Run.

The last word my father had spoken to me rang through my ears. He told me to run and I haven’t stopped since, not even when it felt like I couldn’t do it any longer, I ran.

My feet hit the pavement as I pushed myself to go faster. My lungs burned and it became harder and harder to breath but, that didn’t stop me. I needed to run to be able to forget, to forget my own memories.

I continued to run until my body gave out from under me, and I buckled over throwing up the little food I had eaten the night before.

I lied down on the sandy beach and watched as the sun rose over the ocean. This was what I did every morning for the last year.

I got up and brushed the grains of sand off my legs. I started my long jog back home as the temperature continued to climb as it did everyday in Florida. I stopped at a store to get some bagels for breakfast before making my way back to my little sister.

I stopped in front of my school and entered through the side pool door watching to make sure no one had saw me enter.

“Emma, where are you?” I called through the pool locker room. I stopped when I found her in the corner still with the sleeping bag pulled over her blond hair. She was just five years old and the only sidling I had.

“Five more minutes? Please Syd?” She mumbled into the sleeping bag without lifting her head.”

“Fine. Bagels are on the bench.” I said while opening one of the lockers, which contained my uniform.

“Is there cream cheese?” She said turning her head towards me.

“Of course there is cream cheese! Its only your favorite.” I said smiling at her as I pulled my tank top over my head and grabbed my clothing from the overstuffed locker. “I’m going to take a shower and get dressed. By the time I get out you better be dressed I don’t want a repeat of yesterday.”

“Okay, and Syd, when are we going to go home?” she said tears forming in her eyes.

“When dad comes home from England. This is only temporary Emma.” I said not making eye contact with her.

I walked over to the school showers and turned on the piping hot water. Tears started to burn my eyes as I heard Emma’s question repeat in my head. I finished my shower and pulled on my school uniform.

“Emma, have you seen my soccer uniform?” I asked as I riffled through my locker panicking since I had a game that night.

“It’s in your bag.” She called from the other room as she pulled her uniform over her head.

We went to an all girls private school that went all the way from elementary through high school. We were here on scholarship because of grades and since it was the best school in the area my hopes of going to a great college were high since it was the start of my senor year. However at that moment the reality of going anywhere was slim, since my sister came before me.

“Emma I have a game tonight so please make sure you get your homework down at the library and I will pick you up there later.”

“What if it goes past closing time?”

“Don’t worry about that, I will be there on time. I promise.” I said pulling her into a hug.

“I love you sis.” She said while tilting her head up to look at me.

“I love you too Em.” I responded holding her tighter. “Have a good day ok?”

“I will it’s movie day!”