Outrunning the Impossible

Mo's POV

"How 'bout this, Mimi?" I ask, holding up a silky, ruffled blouse the color of her gem green eyes. The same eyes that she is currently rolling enthusiastically. She sticks out her tongue and indicates hurling.

"Urgh, you're so DIFFICULT." I say with emphasis, pretending to put the shirt back but really exchanging it for one in her size.

"And you are so... Perky." Naomi argues, picking through a rack of clothing and pulling out a black shirt with rips in the sleeves. "See, dark and mysterious." She winks at me and whispers; "it's kind of my thing." I scrunch up my nose. This has been incredibly unsuccessful. "And look," my sister continues, waggling the price tag in front of my eyes; which are getting sore from so much eye-rolling.

"It's 20$. Aaand," she drawls, picking another one off of the rack. "It's two for 30$. Score."

I raise my eyebrows. She seems to be in the habit of buying things because they're what she can afford, not because they are necessarily what she likes. I pull out my wallet as she wanders over to ripped, dark skinny jeans. I rummage through my wad of bills, pulling out two 100$ bills.

I walk meaningfully over to my sister, waving the bills under her nose. Her eyes widen and she lunges for it, but I pull it away before her fingers close around them.

"You nasty little tease." She crinkles her nose at me and sticks her tongue out at me, turning back to the clothes.

"I'm not teasing, Mi." I say, using the short version of her nickname.

"Really?" She asks sarcastically, not bothering to look at me.

"Really, really." I say, making her look at me. "I will give you this money under three conditions: you buy what I approve of, and/or suggest," I say counting on a finger. I hold out another finger, "you don't complain about it," I hold out one more finger. "AND you actually wear it."

Naomi looks torn. "Can I at least pick things out and see if they get your approval or not?" She asks, putting the black shirts back on their 2 for 30$ rack.

"Sure, but you can't buy them without my approval." I say stubbornly.

"Fine." Naomi says, holding out her hand for the money. I surprise her by shaking her hand instead of putting the money in it. "Now you have made a deal. Don't," I say meaningfully, "go back on it."

She rolls her eyes and shakes my hand briefly. "Money, please." She begs. I give her the 200$ and the silky green blouse I found, a winning smile on my lips.

"C'mon pleeeease?" Naomi begs me, holding up the silky grey long sleeved shirt. It is a nice shirt, flowing and loose yet close fitting to my sisters pretty figure. But she has so much gray...

"No." I say firmly, putting my hands on my hips. "Get the one in that really dark purple." I say, gesturing to the same shirt but in a different color.

She groans but irritatedly lifts the shirt off of the rack, slinging it over her elbow.

"What do you want to do now?" She asks, paying for the many items of clothing with the two bills I gifted her. She leans forward on the counter, propping herself up on her elbow.

"You have a habit of making yourself at home." I mutter. She ignores my comment. "Come on, sis. Anything new and exciting?" She lets out a dramatic gasp, fluttering her fingers. "O M G. We could get our nails done." She squeals in a mocking, high pitched voice.

I roll my eyes impatiently at her, for the bajillionth time today. "The only thing I use my nails for is digging into your skin, sister." I say, picking up one of her two bags and walking away from her. She jogs to keep up with my quick pace. "Whoa sis, don't get your panties in a twist. What would you rather do?"

"I would rather pick up the new running wear I ordered from LuLu Lemon, and get to the track. I have a race coming up next weekend." I say, quickening my pace to the little store down the mall.

"That's great and all," Naomi huffs from just behind me. "But you aren't in a race right now!" She says, slowing and putting her hands on her knees, panting heavily.

"You have to be kidding me. Are you that out of shape?" I bug her, smug with the fact that for once I have something to bug HER about, instead of the other way around.

"We just ran across the mall!" Naomi pants incredulously. I shake my head at her, an idea forming in my mind.

"Oh... My... God!" Naomi gasps, collapsing onto the soft grass that surrounds the running track.

"Seriously?" I ask, running circles around her.

"Oh, behold," Naomi pants, tiredly flapping a hand in my direction. "Little Mrs. Perfect everybody, watch her look down on me." She scowls at me, gasping for air.

"Yes, behold Mrs. Goth, this is the most color I have seen in her face," I mimic her, indicating her flushed cheeks from the effort of running. "Look Naomi, I told you this would be good bonding time for us," I say, jogging on the spot and barely breathless. "I am learning things about you! Like for example; exercise makes you bitchy." I pause my jog, grabbing a water bottle for her and tossing it into her lap, feeling as though I have taken over Cami's coaching role.

She grins at me wryly, gulping her water bottle. "I don't need exercise for that, Morgan."

I shake my head at her, turning back to the running track.

"Do you have your phone with you?" I ask. She questioningly pulls out her iPhone. "Yes...?"

"Time me." I instruct, before taking off at full speed down the track. I focus on my breathing; steady, scheduled, repetitive, deep intakes of breath. As my speed increases I focus on my feet; sneaker clad, rhythmic, constantly carrying me forward faster, and as repetitive as my breathing.

Next I focus on my destination. By now the loop the running track takes is halfway over, and I slow enough to safely pull myself around the bend.

I don't take my eyes off of my goal, adrenaline pumping through my muscles and carrying me effortlessly forward. I silently imagine one of my troubles or worries as signs hammered into the ground, and I eventually outrun each of them.

[Naomi's unwillingness to feel again.] with three powerful leaps of speed I pass by that sign.

[Cami and Naomi's dislike of each other] I furrow my brow and speed past that sign. Next comes [Getting Naomi to stay with me] that one takes seven strong strokes to overcome. [Talking to Naomi about our Mother] I picture the sign, but each time I get a bound away from it, it seems to bounce back five more steps. I frown, searching for another burst of speed. But it isn't there. I am left running at a impressive speed; though it isn't nearly fast enough to overcome that sign. What was Cami's explanation for this? Lactic Acid? I imagine a sign that reads [Lactic Acid] and I overcome that one with a great effort, but still the issue doesn't appear to be fading. Why isn't this working? It has always been my method for letting go, for overcoming my problems. I have no other way. What am I supposed to do if this won't work? Suddenly Another sign reappears, much to my discretion. The sign reads; [Getting Naomi to stay with me]. The reason I am such a impressive runner is because I am a determined person, and I picture the finish line as a sign that I need to pass. It's always worked. But if it stops working, will my running skill stop with it?

"Whoa, Morgan." Naomi congratulates as I finish the loop. I hadn't even noticed that I finished it, but Naomi claps her hands appreciatively. "Well done. You're FAST." She compliments me. I smile, a completely in-genuine gesture. My head feels full of new issues, more than I have ever had at once. Why isn't it working?

I pick up a water bottle, fumbling with the twist off lid.

"Are you ok, Mo?" Naomi asks curiously. "You're shaking. Like, really bad."

I look down at my hands, clutching the water bottle as though I'm worried of losing it. They are shaking violently. I shake my head, attempting at another smile while forcing myself not to tear up.

"I think you've had enough exercise for the day." I tell my sister. She smiles, brushing off my odd behavior. I admire her for respecting my space, yet I feel almost disappointed that she didn't push to find out what's wrong. "Damn right I have." She grins, tossing her water bottle aside and slipping into her sweats over top of her blue running shorts.

I nod, copying her actions. "Lets get out of here."