Chapter 25

Logan

I noticed Bella's disappearance immediately, but I knew better than to follow her. She was distraught and this was a moment where my presence would make it worse.

Still, it was hard to keep my distance when all I wanted was to be close to her.

"We should give him a proper burial," said Scott.

"He wasn't one of the X-men," muttered Jean.

Scott shook his head. "I still think it's the right thing to do. Especially for Bella."

We were considering burying Sam in the X-men cemetery -- it was empty. For now.

"I agree. He should be laid to rest here," I chimed in.

There was always a casket, just in case. As X-Men, we risked our lives every day and death would not come as a surprise. Scott and I organized the casket to be moved from the sub levels to the shed.

"Who's going to get the body?" asked Storm.

Jean looked away. "I don't think I can. The poor boy--"

"Logan and I will," Scott volunteered.

My head tilted on my shoulders in shock.

"C'mon Logan. It's the best we can do at this point."

I sighed and shook my head. For Bella. "Alright."

We walked over to the garden shed. It's door was swinging at its hinges. Bella must have entered earlier -- her name was written all over the damage.

"Do you think it's gory?" Scott asked quietly.

"Whatever it is, we have no choice."

He held his breath and opened both doors. The stench immediately hit our noses and we recoiled.

"Aw man.." Scott covered his mouth and nose with his sleeve.

There, in the dark corner, was a body bag. Golden blond hair was peaking out from the end of the zipper. At least Keith had the decency to cover him up. I bent down to close the zipper all the way.

"No, please don't. I can't look at someone who I saw alive only a few hours ago," urged Scott, mistaking my gesture for opening the body bag.

I didn't correct him and closed the bag. I breathed through my mouth as we picked him up on both sides. We moved over to Jean and Storm, who both were solemn, and we were careful to place Sam gently and respectfully inside the casket. I was relieved it was done and that Bella didn't have to see it.

"Now what?" I asked.

"Just bury him." 

Bella's voice filled the silence suddenly. She leaned against the stone wall and only looked at me when she spoke. "Don't bother giving a service," she finished.

There wasn't enough time to make a tombstone, so we moved a small bench near Sam's grave. Bella stood with her arms crossed as she watched Scott lower the casket. Her face was dry and void of any emotion. I hoped she had simply run out of tears, and not internalizing her pain.

My thoughts often drifted to Keith and what Bella did while she was away, but I never dared to ask. All I knew was that she returned and Keith did not. I wanted so desperately to talk to her, but I felt giving her space was what she needed most. If I pushed her, she might come to resent me.

I was on thin ice -- and if it cracked, we were over.

I sat in my room, brainstorming ideas of things to say to her when enough time had passed. How much time did she need? Would the time ever be right? What if she's waiting for me right now?