Chapter 35

Bella

My brother extended a hand to help me to my feet. I grabbed ahold of him in a bone-crushing hug. I couldn't believe he was here in the flesh, after so many years. 

"It's really you," I breathed, holding back my emotions. "You're safe. I found you." 

Percy laughed. "Actually, I found you."

I pulled back, but didn't let go of his arms. "How did you find me?"

His blue eyes sparkled knowingly. "That's a story for another time. And from what I understand, we have lots of time."

So he knew. Percy somehow knew of the Time Run, of what it would take to end my Tron legacy. All those hours wringing my hands with worry on how I would confront him and Merlin about joining me on this life-threatening mission, and I didn't even have to ask. Because we were family.  

My brother had a growth spurt sometime between the last time I saw him and now. His black hair was longer, its ends just barely brushing past his ears. Yet, his blue eyes mirrored mine and the dimples were the same as when he was a child. Oh, and that smile that melted my heart. I almost cried. 

I looked down at the sword in his hand and gestured towards it.

"You kept it?"

"Of course," Percy said, shifting his grip on Riptide. "You gave it to me."

I hugged him once more. "I missed you so much."

"I missed you, too. I grew up with only stories of how badass you were and I never got to see it for myself. Well, until now." He pulled away and laughed. "We're still in this war, remember?"

I shook my head. "You're not fighting. Go inside the building. Our people will take care of you."

"Come on, Bella. I'm sixteen now. I'm old enough to fight. It's nothing I haven't done before," he said. 

A shrill ear-piercing scream reminded me of the mermaids that were still attacking. One of them lashed out with frightening speed, so fast that I could barely react. 

"Percy, look out!" I yelled. 

He didn't hesitate. With a skillful move that could only have been practiced for hours, he turned around and stabbed the mermaid with Riptide, tossing her to the side.

"Wow," I breathed in awe.

Percy wiped off the mermaid's green-blue blood from his blade and shrugged. "I've had training."

I had so many questions, about him, about camp. A little aways behind my brother, there was a group of people who I knew weren't mutants -- they were his friends, fellow demigods. Percy followed my gaze and waved at them, signaling that everything was okay. They clearly looked up to him as their leader, which made me warm with pride. My brother had grown up, had fought and trained endlessly, and had made a very impressive demigod warrior of himself. 

I took the time to search for my own friends and spotted Logan planted a few yards ahead of the compound. Our troops remained indoors, but some had begun to file out with curiosity. Logan immediately reacted, urging them to return indoors. It still wasn't safe to come out yet. 

The soldiers stood their ground, and began to aim their weapons at the mutants. 

No, not at the mutants. At the demigods who entered the scene. At my brother.

"No!" I screamed and ran over to Percy. He barely registered what was happening before I shielded him with my body. I felt a sudden sharp pressure in my abdomen and I fell into Percy's arms, seizing. I'd been hit.