The day they said goodbye

-Monday-

I usually wake up to the sound of my alarm clock beeping  but today was different. My own thoughts were keeping me awake and the only sleep i got was from the nap i took yesterday afternoon. Yesterday. Oh no. The soft pitter-patter from my cats small fluffy feet could be heard from where my bed was. My cat likes me and that should matter i guess. I got dressed, put my hair into braids, brushed my teeth and then left for the school bus. 

I was the second stop so i could almost sit anywhere. My friends wanted me to save them a seat so i always did. Jeez how long have Jenna and I been friends.. Two or three years at least. She is the longest someone has put up with me, but today she looked at me like a stranger. In fact everyone looked at me like i was different, and not everyone i told in the conversation, but everyone on the bus kept glancing at me occasionally. Oh god this really was bad.

"Bennett, hey!" A girl came up to me with a nice smile and a blonde blob and sat next to me. Maybe she was nice? Its only two months into school and I've kept to myself a lot so i don't know very many people. 

"Soo, is it true your gay?"

Wait how does she know that? Who would tell this random girl and why. 

"Yeah.." I was blushing because she seemed so nice but was asking such a awkward question.

The girl turned around to face a seat behind her and shouted to a guy on his phone:

"She actually is gay it isn't just a rumor!"

Everyone in earshot kind of looked up and eyed  me.

The girl stuck around for a few seconds or so and muttered something along the lines of "damn homosexual" before sitting by the guy she previously called to.

I hid for the rest of the bus ride in my coat trying to avoid everyone's piercing stares.

During fourth period my teacher got a call asking for me at the health clinic. When i walked in they said that anonymous students came in earlier today thinking i was mentally ill and needed to check in. I reluctantly accepted and was rushed into a small conference room with a circular chair in it and a small lady staring quizzically at me. 

"Hello Bennett, my name is Mx. Cary, would you please introduce yourself so i can check the records." 

"Um sure. My name is Bennett Pierson I'm a girl who is 15 years old and currently in 10th grade and live in Grand Rapids, Michigan.. Is that good?" I asked hesitantly

"what is your sexual orientation?" She pressed.

"Well, I'm a lesbian."

The only reason I'm here is because I'm gay and people don't like it.