Prologue

TWERK. TWERK. TWERK. The California sunshine baked Bunny's olive skin like a Smeg Symphony as she rotated her hips around and around in circles for the amusement of her peers. She didn't quite understand what grinding to a ratchet beat had anything to do with proving her loyalty in order to gain entrance into a social sisterhood, but as she clapped everything but hands, the Ghetto Barbies watched from afar with satisfaction from her efforts.

Latrice threw her arms in the air and whooped to the crowd, encouraging her to complete the last task of hazing period. Candy surveyed the campus behind her aviator shades, keeping a lookout for the security guards who would soon be following in the direction of the noise as she balanced a base-booming stereo on her right shoulder. The Hip Hop music that blasted through its speakers was the soundtrack to Bunny's show. Imani Cooper cracked a half smile, pretty in pink as she surveyed the campus of enthusiastic spectators. She was Head Barbie and the one that Bunny was eager to impress the most.

The Ghetto Barbies were a culture of black blondes that wore nearly nothing but pink. Pledging to be one was no laughing matter, despite the fact that most of their peers considered them to be a joke. First, the pledges had to do the homework of the big sisters for a week. It was far from easy, being a freshman who was already struggling in Algebra while now trying to tackle a junior's Algebra II assignments. Bunny and the rest of her competition had spent hours in the tutoring lab, getting their study on in the first week of school like they had a mountain of midterms on deck. By the end of the first task, six of the twelve girls had disappeared, and Bunny felt that she should have been promoted to the eleventh grade with all of the academic skills she had acquired in such a short amount of time.

The six of them who had made it to the second round then had to seek out a random boy in the courtyard and plant a kiss on his lips during lunch without warning. Bunny kissed Maxwell, only because he was a friend from middle school that had a little crush on her and she knew that she would have had the chance to explain to him later on. The rest of the girls bowed out, leaving Bunny alone to attempt the third and final task--twerking on a cafeteria table.

It certainly wasn't a traditional step show amongst sorority sisters, but the Ghetto Barbies were no traditional clique. They were Legally Blonde meets ATL with just a little bit of Set it Off. She wanted so badly to be a part of the group of blinging magenta-lipped girls that ran amok amongst the boys. It was just like a Black Friday sale at Toys R Us. All of them wanted one of those highly coveted Barbies and would stop at nothing to get their hands on one. As Bunny threw her ass in a circle, a square, a triangle, a rhombus, and any other shape she could think of, she allowed her eyes to sift through her audience, singling out which one she was going to let pull her from the shelves.

Being that she was the only one who had made it to the final task, she twerked for her life just knowing that within moments, she would be initiated into the sisterhood. "Code Fuchsia! Code Fuchsia!" Candy called out. That was the signal for her to hop off the table because the campus security guards were on their way. Bunny had been feeling herself so much that she didn't want to stop, but her mission was complete. There was nothing to do now but be rewarded. She ducked into the crowd as their excitement fast died down and they began to act cool and cordial. That quickly, everything returned to normal. The guards stormed through and surveyed the cafeteria table for the sole markings of Bunny's pink Converses, but they weren't going to find any traces of her.

"You're a Ghetto Barbie now, sis," said Imani. Bunny took utter delight in her words. For the first time ever, she felt like she belonged somewhere. The sisters were her family now, and she was ready to give them her complete trust and provide safekeeping of theirs.