Chapter 3

Leo

I finished bandaging Liam for the fourth time this week then I went to see how Evie was doing. Liam seemed to be a magnet for disaster. Everytime he comes back from hunting the beast, he is always covered in blood. He manages to keep Lexi safe though. Except for this time. She was lying unconscious on her bed with Evie bending over her. Her arm was bent the wrong way and drenched in blood. Her clothes had been shredded by the beast and a massive bruise was forming on her forehead. I wrapped my arms around Evie's skinny waist. She was stitching up the hole in Lexi's arm. I looked over her shoulder at Lexi's mangled arm. "Dislocated." I smiled. I love a good challenge. Evie brushed a stray piece of her dyed-red hair behind her ear. She had pulled it back into french plaits. Something she always did when she was working. I leaned forward and kissed her pale neck. "Help me," She muttered placing her tools back on the silver tray. I jumped to the other side of the bed and gabbed Lexi's arm. Evie pulled a portable breathing mask onto her face, something Liam had savaged from the ship crash that brought him here. On the count of three we popped her dislocated arm back into the socket. Evie sighed with relief. It was her first time doing something like that. Our faces were barely an inch apart. My skin tingled as I looked into her bright eyes. She was looking at my lips. The door suddenly opened and we straightened up in surprise. Zach crashed into the room, panting like he had just run a marathon. "We have to get out of here!" He leaned heavily against the door frame, his hand on his knees. I looked at Evie then ran to get Liam. He ran into me in the hallway and I almost knocked him off his feet. He muttered something uncomprehensible. I dragged him down the hall to Lexi's room. Evie had pulled open a concealed trapdoor and was ushering Zach through it. "Go!" I shouted at her. She neatly jumped through the hole in the floor. I heard someone trying to kick down the front door. Zach had obviously already told Evie what it was because she looked terrified as she disappeared. Liam scooped Lexi off the bed and lowered her down the hole. Zach grunted as he caught her. Down the hallway I heard the door smash open into splinters and I saw the flash of a gun. Liam paused, about to jump. "Go!" I whispered frantically. "I'll buy you some time." Liam slapped my back in a brotherly way then jumped. I kicked the door shut with the edge of my foot then turned to face the attackers. My last thought was of Evie. Her bright eyes and army clothes that she always wore. I clasped her locket she had given me in my hands as a gun fired. There wasn't any pain. At least that's what I would have told Evie. That was a lie. It hurt like hell. I gasped for air chocking on my own blood. Then I was gone.