Chapter 3

Mia glanced at him like he was insane, confusion evident in her ever changing shades of green eyes. Hunter would be too, if some random person came up to him and started talking like they were on crack.
"I'm sorry, my what?" She asked as she pulled herself off of the floor and leaned against the tree, her face still looked pale and he was afraid that she was going to puke any moment now.

"I'm your protector. I'm sure you have a lot of questions, and I'll answer them all in time." Hunter told her and her eyes twinkled with curiosity but she also didn't look that convinced.
"I think someone spiked my drink and now I'm imagining things..." She whispered to herself and he chuckled.
"No, you're not imagining things Mia."
"And how do you know my name?" She asked quietly.

"Look, how about we go home and I'll answer your questions."
She looked at him like he was crazy, "I'm not taking you to my house, dude, I've only just met you—this whole thing could be some sort of twisted prank—"
Before she could finish, he placed his hand on her shoulder and took out his teleporter and in a blue flash of light, they were standing by her car.

She looked around, muddled. "What the hell..." she swore under her breath and then she turned to him.
"That was so cool, and it felt weird. How did you do that?" She asked quickly as she tried to grab the teleporter from his hand but he restrained her and put the slab in his pocket.
"It lets me teleport to places I've been before." He explained and once again confusion took over her face.
"How have you been to Connor's place before? I've never seen you here."
"That's because you couldn't see me until tonight," He tells her.
"... Okay, I'm totally lost." She said as she took off her completely ruined sneakers that were full of black, gooey blood and threw them by her car with disgust all over her face.

"I told you I'll explain at your house, see you there." Hunter took out the glass slab and pressed the center, imagined where he wanted to go and in an instant he was back in Mia's bedroom.

Hunter sat on her window seat, holding his chain in front of his face. What happened tonight? How was she able to see him? This necklace is supposed to help him stay invisible to everyone who is not a protector and there is no way she can be one because if she was, she would have been able to see him since she turned 12 and she had only been able to see him tonight... what changed?

Hearing footsteps, Hunter quickly put on the chain but he knew it was Mia who was going to come through the door, he could feel her presence whenever she was around. She threw open her door, a little startled to see him lounging around her room.

"How did you get in here?" She asked and he rolled her eyes.
"Have you not been paying attention?" He said to her and she gave him a death glare.
She sat on the side of her bed and placed her bag on the floor.
"What your about to tell me better be good, Alana and Riley, my friends, are pissed that I ditched them at the party." She said and he grinned.
"And your sister?" Hunter asked, calling Grace her sister just to annoy her.
"She's not my sister." She snapped before she recollected herself, "Now tell me, what are you and what do you do and how do you do it?"

"A protector... I guess it's like an alien to humans. We do come from another planet in which we call Maldros, it's many light years away from earth. We can live for a longer time period than humans but we can die as easily. Not from stupid things, like diseases, but if our head gets chopped off then yeah, we're dead, but we're stronger, faster and more mentally and physically advanced." Hunter paused to see if she was following, she nodded slowly.

"When each Maldrerian, a person who is from Maldros, turns a certain age, which is 12, we take an exam to see if we are worthy of becoming a protector. If we are, we get assigned to a certain ... ward that we have to protect until we—or our ward—die."