Chapter 1, Cold Water

I stumbled along the dirt path, rock walls on either side of me charred and burning red hot in some places. A rock monster ran up to me, the little level one kind I never bothered to learn the name of.

Even though I was only a level 9.

I swung my slingshot and nailed it in the face, and it shattered. Another weapon clinked to the ground and I rushed over and picked it up, hoping for a sword.

It was another sling shot.

I went into my inventory and disposed of it, not bothering to sell it. It wasn't worth the trip back to town.

I went further down the trail, ignoring most of the monsters. I looked at the map sitting in the bottom corner of my vision, but it was always the same. Just a circle inside a circle inside an oval.

I was about to turn back for the day when a little level 2 rock monster bumped into my calf, knocking itself onto its back. I sighed and pulled my slingshot back, shattering the poor thing with one shot. It dropped a Vigilance +1.

I collected the prize and, satisfied with myself, headed back towards town. I was almost halfway back when a group of level 20 players ran past, sweeping me along with them in their stampede.

I struggled to keep up, but the kicks to the shins were a real motivator. They suddenly turned and slunk through a crack in the wall, one I hadn't noticed in my four days of being an adventurer.

The land dissolved for a moment, leaving me by myself in nothing but my default adventure garb, a too short skirt and a crop top that was suppose to be "female armor."

The land reappeared, green and grassy. I dropped to my knees and looked around, disoriented. The level 20s ran forward, straight through a pack of acorn monsters.

I'd never seen anything so green and pretty, the grass was lush and a river flowed through the middle of the map. Compared to the burning rocks I'd come from, I would gladly live my days in a bush here instead of a house in town.

One of the acorn came up to me, wobbling cutely before chomping down on my leg.

So much for armor.

I checked its status: level 4, 250 hp. Seemed reasonable enough. I had 175 hp, but I figured I could manage.

I pulled back my slingshot, aiming for its middle, and let it fly. The thing hopped back a step, then bit twice on my leg again.

I kicked it away, wincing as blood dripped down my leg. I shot the thing three more times before it shattered, giving me 15 xp.

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea, after all...

The river suggested otherwise.

I crept over to it, wary of a hoard of giant, circular frog looking monsters. They were level 5.

I dunked my hands under the water, gasping at how cold it was. It was the best thing I'd ever felt.

I waded in up to my knees, but then it leveled out. It was about five feet across, with an island like piece of land a little farther up stream. Perfect for a party of four to sit on.

Too bad I didn't have a party. I'd never even been in a party, much less had a maxed out one.

I pulled myself from the water and reluctantly shook myself off. It was getting dark, and I didn't want to miss dinner. Not that I couldn't just make it later, nobody was waiting on me.

Still, I rushed back home, eager to change my clothes into another set of identical, cleaner ones. Nothing beat the feeling of getting into clean clothes. Except, maybe cold water. I would definitely have to come back tomorrow and bury myself in it, and maybe take some back with me too.

Don't forget to vote ☆ this story ;3

Stay sweet, darlings.