Prologue

Prologue

Her voice squeaked in her laughter as she turned the corner, skidding along the carpet and onto the tiles to the side of the hallway – slipping in her knee high socks before she continued her chase. The black haired boy she was pursuing laughed as he gained some space between them as he turned another corner, but he slipped and ran into the wall. Crumpled on the floor he looked down the hallway as she advanced on him. Without hesitation he scrambled to his feet and ran for the door that would save him.

Just as he reached the doorknob and turned, her arms encircled his waist and they both tumbled into the room, falling into a heap on the plush carpet – and immediately burst into a fit of hysterical giggles.

“What are you two doing?”

Both of them looked up towards the other side of the room, where a familiar figure sat at a desk behind his laptop computer. Although he had spoken and most people would have been distracted he continued to skip his fingers over the keyboard.

“He started a game of chase.” She replied simply.

“What?!” The black haired boy exclaimed, struggling to escape her playful grasp. “You totally started it.”

“I’m older, so I’m right.” The girl stated, sticking her tongue out at him.

“And I’m older than the both of you.” The figure from the desk stood up. “Mokuba, Victoria, this is my private study – I’m trying to work.”

“Oh come on, Seto.” Victoria teased, looking back up at him from under her dishevelled fringe of pinkish blonde hair with dark pink eyes. “Learn to have a little fun.”

Seto walked around his desk, approaching the pair – who knew their fate and instantly detangled themselves from the other and tried to get to their feet in order to flee before their inevitable punishment. Though both of them knew that it wouldn’t be harmful they still had no idea what he would do this time. Before Mokuba could get very far Seto slung his younger brother over his shoulder and then caught Victoria’s wrist as she bolted for the door.

“I think you’ll regret that comment, Tori.” Seto informed her, dragging her out of the room with Mokuba still securely slung over his shoulder.

“Where are you taking us, Seto?” Mokuba demanded.

“You’ll see soon enough.” Seto replied. “I have something to show the both of you.”

“Cookie Robots?!” Mokuba exclaimed.

Seto raised an eye brow at his little brother and then shared a glance with Victoria who shrugged her shoulders. “Not quite.” He replied. “It’s much better than that.”

“Tsk, tsk, Seto. Nothing is better than Robot Cookies.” Victoria informed him.

“Not better than this.” Seto assured her, releasing his hold on her arm to open a door he had led them to – as he did this he placed Mokuba back to his feet.

“Your invention room?” Victoria questioned – he hadn’t led them very far, they were in the same hallway.

Seto nodded, swinging the door open to a room cluttered with organised chaos. “I’ve finished one of my updates and I think that the both of you will be very impressed.”

“Why don’t you tell us how you really feel?” Mokuba joked, following his brother into the room.

“It wasn’t a selfish comment, Mokuba.” Seto replied with a small smile, leading the way through the room, around tables with different unfinished inventions with computers spouting endless codes and information.

“What update were you working on, Seto?” Victoria asked.

For a moment he didn’t reply – instead he turned to a table that was covered with a white sheet and pulled the sheet off to reveal a duel disk. “I was updating the duel disk and its systems.”

“I thought there were no glitches with the duel disks.” Mokuba said, looking at the new duel disk that was basically the same as the old one only a little sleeker. “And this doesn’t look much different than the old design, other than the pink replacing the blue.”

“There will always be new advances in technology.” Seto explained. “Not only that I’m going to have duel disks manufactured with six new colours. Including the original there will be red, blue, green, yellow, white and black. And once more I’m in the process of creating smaller designs that are for children – everyone should be able to use a duel disk.”

“That’s such a cool idea.” Victoria complimented. “I’ve met heaps of kids who want to use a duel disk.”

Seto nodded. “Exactly.”

“But you never said that any of the duel disks will be made in pink.” Mokuba said, picking up the pink duel disk from the table.

“That is a special one of a kind duel disk – because someone special suggested it.” Seto explained, taking the duel disk from his brother and turning to Victoria.

“What? But I was just kidding.” Victoria stated, placing a hand to her hip.

“That doesn’t matter. This is a gift to you – for giving me the idea of making duel disks different colours.” Seto said to her, handing the duel disk over to her. “Besides, you need your own duel disk to defeat me.”

Victoria stared up at him. “What?”

“This is your punishment for disrupting me.” Seto said, walking towards the exit.

“What? But it was Moki who started it!”

“He’s my blood brother, I’ll always believe him over you. No offense.” He said with a slightly playful smirk.

Mokuba stuck his tongue out at Victoria as he eagerly followed his brother out of the room.

Victoria stared after them, mouth agape before she quickly followed her adoptive brothers out of the room in order to teach her older brother a lesson he’d never forget.

Though she knew she couldn’t really defeat him in a duel. He would always be better at the game than she was – no matter how much she practiced. But at least it was still fun to play, and with her own duel disk she could practice a lot more often.

Her life really had taken a look upwards since she’d joined the Kaiba family – but there was something in her heart that was somehow missing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The picture that you see to the side? >>>> That's Victoria. Drawn by me ^_^