Two

Ian's POV

I woke up on Sunday and checked my phone to see tons of texts from a freaked out Tommie.

Come over when you wake up

I think I remember that girl from somewhere

Bring me a bagel

I sighed and got out of bed. Tommie is ridiculous if he thinks I'm actually going to bring him a bagel.

I walk out to the kitchen and grab my keys off the counter, and then I grab a stale bagel.

———

"Okay, so how do we know her?" I ask, sitting down on Tommie's couch, tossing him his stale bagel.

"Well, I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think she might be," Tommie cut himself off as his sister Jenna walked into the room.

"Who?" Jenna is one of the nosiest people I've ever met.

"Tommie saved a girls life at the waterpark yesterday," I said winking at him.

"Bullshit," she laughed, "you probably gave Ian mouth to mouth after he choked on a hot dog or something."

"You wish," I mutter.

"Anyway, Tommie, Mom is coming back tomorrow and she said she wants the dishes washed and put away before she gets home."

"I swear she told you to do it," Tommie said, sinking into the couch cushions.

"She did, but now I'm telling you to do it." Tommie smirked.

"Fine. You owe me," Tommie said as Jenna skipped back into her room.

"Dude, this bagel is stale," Tommie said with a mouthful.

"Don't be so demanding next time." He rolled his eyes at me and stood up from the couch.

"So you were saying," I trailed off. The girl was cute, that was a fact, but I didn't remember her from anywhere. And I tend to remember cute girls.

"She has to be related to Vera March. They have the same eyes I swear." I stood still. She did have unbelievable green eyes, just like Vera. Vera was my mom's best friend, well until she died.

Vera was an awful person. I'm convinced that's why my mom vanished a couple years ago. Mom left, and Vera never came around to visit again.

"Yuck," I spat, "why does everything have to be some mysterious fictional stereotype?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why couldn't that girl have just been a stranger? Someone without any kind of relation to me at all. Now I'm just going to remember her as 'Vera's minion' or something vicious like her." Tommie shrugged and chewed his bagel.

"I think you're overreacting. She's probably not related to her at all."

"I think we should find out for sure." Tommie raised his eyebrows and looked at me like I was crazy.

"I know what you're thinking," he paused. I smiled and thought about tracking her down at the local hospital. "No. Ian, that's ridiculous. We don't know her. We can't."

"Who says?"

———

Monday

"Hi I'm looking for the girl who almost died in the water park on Saturday, do you know what room she's in?" Tommie asked the woman sitting at the front desk of the hospital. I tried not to laugh too hard, as I was standing right next to me. Best ten dollars I've ever lost.

"You're not her boyfriend, are you? He's not allowed to be near her." The woman said to Tommie.

"Oh no ma'am, he's the guy who saved her." I said to the lady, poking Tommie int the shoulder.

"Room 512" The lady said with a smile. I giggled as we walked toward the elevator.

"Dude, I can't believe you actually did that." I said as Tommie pushed the 5 button inside the elevator.

"Ten dollars is ten dollars."

"Sure," I laughed as the doors closed,"We could be on the news for this, I can see it now. Girl almost drowns but is saved by heroic figure."

"Oh so I'm heroic now?" Tommie said chuckling a little.

Before I could answer the elevator doors opened, showing us the ugly carpet of the fifth floor. We walked down the hall to our left, stopping at the door with a plaque that said 512 on it. Tommie knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" A girl's voice asked.

"Dude, what do we say? She isn't going to know who we are." Tommie asked.

"The guys who saved your life at the water park." I piped up, Tommie punched me in the stomach.

"Oh it's you guys. Come in."