Lauren, the prologue

"Can't catch me!"she yelled, a grin spreading across her rain splattered face. "Thomas, you're supposed to run when playing tag!" The exasperated words left her mouth with such speed that Thomas struggled to decipher them; when he did digest their meaning Lauren had already started sprinting over to him.
"Not everyone has as much energy as you Lauren" the breathy words had a humorous air.
"Come on, let's play catch, catch definitely isn't energetic."Lauren giggled.
Lauren, everything you do is energetic..." Thomas's golden hair glinted as he turned to grad the sodden red ball. Thomas held the foam ball in his goosebump covered hands, he threw it with very little force so that it fell far short of where Lauren stood about six metres away from him. "Thomas, it isn't hard to throw a ball, even if it's raining." The ball flew back to him, he caught it after a short struggle, he wasn't very good at catch.

Thinking about Lauren's casual disregard for his lack of interest in playing made irritation begin to cloud Thomas's head, why did Lauren have to be so, so annoying; he hated her hyperactive attitude. Deciding to be petty Thomas completely overshot his next throw, it bounced several times before rolling to a stop against the curb on the other side of the road. "Thomas, I know you did that on purpose," Lauren, realising she had rather annoyed Thomas, decided not to make him get the ball and to, instead, go and get it herself.

It was at this moment in time that Alison Caristar turned the corner into elison avenue, the sound of ' The Wanted' playing in her ears. Her cheap and rattle prone land rover hustled over the rough tarmac causing her to think about her car's overdue service... Alison looked up at the road ahead. She was about to indicate for the upcoming turn when a Lauren entered her eyeline. Alison moved like lightning to try and stop the car, however the road was wet and slippery and the brakes were not in a particularly good shape. The rusty blue landrover continued forward as Lauren turned to look at Thomas Goodhall, her last smile plastered across her sweet and forgiving face.

Thomas felt time slow down as his best and only friend was crushed by the vehicle, he saw every last agonized expression that crossed Lauren's face before it was all over. Alison called the ambulance as soon as she managed to get out of her injured car, Lauren's mother Florence ran from her house like a mad woman, but they all were to late. Thomas had known that as soon as the car stopped, he had known that Lauren was dead and he had known that it was all his fault...