The End

7 minutes

"Your father would be so proud. I'm so proud." My mom wraps both Alexis and I in a hug. "I love you, girls."

"I love you, too," we say in unison.

"We'll leave soon," my mom says. She kisses the top of my head - which is probably sweaty from my cap - before letting us go.

"We'll walk you to your parents, Lex."

"Thanks, Quinny."

She links her arm with mine. My mom follows us as we search the field for them.

"There they are," my mom says. She steps in front of us and walks up to Alexis's parents. They start to chat and laugh and smile.

"We are free," Alexis whispers to me.

"Yeah," I agree.

"And don't worry about you-know-who. He did what he thought was right. Okay?"

"Yeah. I won't worry. What's meant to be will be."

"I just want you to be all right. As long as you're all right, I'll be okay."

"I'm okay, Lex. I promise."

"I hope you aren't lying," Alexis says.

"Would I ever lie to you?" I ask but before she can answer, Oliver runs up to us.

"Hey, Alexis!" he says with a smile.

She unhooks her arm from mine and folds it across herself.

"What do you want?" she asks, almost harshly.

"I wanna show ya something." He keeps looking behind us.

"If you're naked under that gown and that's what you want to show me, Oliver, I swear -"

"I'm not naked," he says with an eye roll. "Just come on."

"All right. Okay, I will." Alexis turns to me. "I'll be right back. Don't you dare do anything stupid while I'm gone, Miss. Smarty Pants."

"I won't," I promise.

Oliver looks at me, then looks behind us again. He winks and smirks at someone before dashing off and waving at Lex to follow.

I don't turn around because I know what's coming. I stare ahead at the three adults, one of which is my mother. They look at me, probably knowing that I am watching them. I wave.

"Quinn," he breathes. He doesn't say my name, it just falls out of his mouth. Like that's what it's supposed to do or something.

My mom goes back to talking, not paying me any attention. I still don't turn around, though.

He said that we couldn't be like that.

He seemed like he didn't want to talk to me ever again because he didn't want to hurt me because we probably wouldn't see each other again after tonight.

Well, I'm hurting now.

Why did Alexis leave me?

I don't say anything. I can tell that he's walking slowly around to face me because I can see him out of the corner of my eye. I still don't turn because this, right now, hurts more than anything.

Like I told Alexis this morning, he was this guy that I liked and the only guy that I really liked.

I'm afraid to admit that I'm heartbroken.

When he walks all the way around to stand in front of me, I finally just look at him.

I can tell. It's something about his eyes. How they're still dark like before.

He's heartbroken too.

"Quinn," he says again.

"Parker?"

"I . . ." He scratches the back of his neck nervously.

"Don't say you're sorry," I tell him. I turn around and begin to march towards the exit of the field. I just want to go home.

"But that's not what I was going to say." I can hear his feet pounding on the turf, running after me. "I was gonna say that I made a mistake."

"Yeah, yeah. I know. Kissing me was a big mistake. Taking me to that party was some big mistake."

"Not that. Those weren't mistakes."

He's walking behind me, but I'm not going to stop just to chat it up with him.

"I made a mistake by saying those were mistakes."

I roll my eyes.

"Quinn!" he says again. "Stop walking."

"No thanks." I say. I make it out of the gate. Away from the field and from the crowds.

"Can you just listen to me so I can say that I love you? That's all I wanted to say." He lets out a low sigh.

I turn around and notice he's bright red and I don't think it's from chasing me. He's blushing.

"You what?" I ask.

"I love you," he says again.

I take a step towards him. My eyes question him the way that my words can't.

"Why do you think I've been avoiding you for years? Because I'm crazy. I should've been spending that time with you. I'm stupid and I make too many mistakes and I'm telling the girl that I love that I love her at the worst possible time."

"Stop talking," I demand.

"W-why?" he asks.

"Because I love you too, you know? And I just want you to kiss me because in three months we'll be at different schools and we won't be able to kiss each other for long periods of time."

"You're funny, Quinn."

"You're wasting time, Parker."

He takes a few steps and finally catches up to me. His blue eyes are bright again. He's wearing the biggest smile and even when he kisses me, I can still feel it on his lips.

-

This was fun to write. I loved it. It has been an idea for months. I shoved it aside and I wish I wouldn't have because I loved writing this.
Thanks to everyone who has read it.