Feeling Good

I looked around my new bedroom, sighing in relief to finally be finished unpacking. I'd spent the last week moving into this townhouse my parents found. It was small but adorable, and perfect sized for me. And with the rent at five hundred and twenty-five a month after my pay raise at work it really was perfect. I turned in a small circle on the light tan carpet. The walls were a pale mint color so I had based my room on that. My queen sized bed had a white comforter with white and mint colored pillows thrown on top. I had a small white desk to the right of the bed where my lap top and school stuff was, a small white night stand for a lamp to the left, and in front of the bed was my white vanity. It had a small square mirror with small light bulbs around it, my makeup perfectly organized on top of it. For now anyway, everything was organized and tidy. Even my small white closet was organized by shirts, dresses, and other. It felt good to finally be out of my brother's place and have somewhere to call home again. I sat down on the bed just as my phone buzzed from the night stand. 

     "Hello?" I smiled as I answered, knowing it was Carly. She had come to Chris's the day after we had gotten back from the beach house and she'd been around a lot ever since. Chris and I were both thankful for that. "So, how is it? I can't wait to come see it now that it's all set up!" she squealed through the phone and I laughed, laying back on the bed. "You can come over tomorrow before the party, we can get ready here." "Yes! Yes! Yes! I am just so excited! Not only to see your new place but for this incredibly fancy party we will be attending tomorrow night!" "I've never heard someone get so excited for an office party." "Okay, not just an office party Z. Don't act like they just hung up some construction paper streamers around the cubicles! We will be drinking cocktails on top of a roof of one of the most famous hotels around the world! I've never been on the rooftop of anything!" "Okay, so when you put it like that it does sound really fun!" "Exactly! And we get to dress up really fancy! I still have no idea what I'm going to wear." "Well that's what tomorrow night is for." "Right! Okay, I'm getting too worked up over here. I have to go anyway, Chris is taking me out! I just wanted to call and say congratulations once again, things are totally turning around for you you boss bitch!" Carly yelled into the phone. I laughed loudly at her, but her words did have some truth to them. "Okay, have fun. I'll see you around six tomorrow?" "Perfect! Love ya!" she hung up and I did the same, staring up at the ceiling, a smile still glued to my face. I was finally feeling like myself again, things were good and I was feeling good. 

     The next day at the bookstore was hectic. With school back in fool swing people were in and out of the shop all day. I was so thankful to see the clock strike four and to see the night crew coming in. I filled Lisa, the only other supervisor in on everything before ducking my head down and rushing out the back door before anyone else could stop me. I hopped into my jeep, speeding off down the road and jamming out to Nick Jonas as he blared through my speakers. I was actually excited for the party tonight. Every year after school started dad's office and their families had a rooftop party on top of one of the hotels they managed. There was music, cocktails, and finger foods. Everyone had to wear black tie attire. It was always a magical night. Last year Chris and I got totally wasted after mom and dad left. We ran around the hotel with Chris's best friend Ian and the other interns, and we had every intention to do the same this year. 

     "You know, it's kind of great you and I are best friends and I'm dating your brother. I mean maybe one day he and I will get married and then we will be sisters." Carly was sitting in front of my vanity in her white lace bra and underwear putting on mascara. "You're ridiculous, you know this right?" I laughed at her stepping away from the closet as I pulled out my dress. I had on a matching black bra and underwear set with garter stockings on. "I can't believe you're wearing those." Carly pointed at the stockings and I grinned at her. "You don't like them?" I laughed looking down at them. I felt so incredible sexy in them, I loved them. "No I love them. They are so sexy, but who are you trying to be sexy for? Is there something you're not telling me?" Carly stood up now, raising her eyebrows at me as she grabbed her egg white dress from the back of my door. "No." I rolled my eyes at her before turning my attention back to my dress. It was black with two shoulder straps about an inch wide. It had a plunging neck line and a flared skirt that hit just above my knees. I felt sexy in it too. I slowly unzipped the back the stepped into it. Carly's dress was frilly and white without straps. Her boobs were only a little smaller than mine so I don't know how she had the confidence to wear a strapless dress, but she looked slamming. Her hair fell into soft curls around her face and her makeup was intense but beautiful. I smiled at her. "You look just as great as I do, your hair turned out great." she laughed at me. She always knew what I was thinking. I'd just dyed my hair a couple of days ago so it was bright red. Carly had twisted it into a beautiful messy bun at the back of my head, bumping the front of my hair up a little. I was in love with it. My makeup was darker than normal but it highlighted my eyes. We both looked amazing and I was ready to take on the night. To just let loose and let my mind go blank.