The Masquerade

The day of the Masquerade I was a ball of nerves, and I wasn't sure why? Maybe it was because I planned on telling my parents about Owen and I? Or the excitement of the dance itself? Maybe it was the idea of being in a room full of "strangers?" Or it could've been because I still hadn't found a dress or a mask to wear. Not to mention Veronica had been in the back of my thoughts all day. I'd just gotten home from a hair cut, on the phone with Carly when someone knocked at my door. "So you don't like them? I'm sure they aren't that bad." Carly's voice echoed into my ear, my eye brows raising as I heard another knock. "I don't know, maybe I'm just not used to having bangs? Uhm, I have to go okay. Someone's at the door." I said into my phone, slowly making my way to the front door. "Okay, I'll see you at the Marriott at nine! I know you look great so don't stress!" Carly yelled at me before I hung up and opened the front door.

     A tall man in his thirties stood before me, in a fitted grey suit. He had a buzz cut and a cold look in his eyes. He nodded to me, a large white and black box in his hands. "Uhm, hi." I stared at him, looking behind him to a black Audi. "Can I help you?" I asked the man as he just stood there looking at me. "This package is from Mr. Prat." he held the box out to me, slipping it into my arms. "Oh." I smiled a little, the man nodding to me before turning on his heel and heading to his car. "Sorry, who are you?" I called after him, my curiosity getting the best of me. "I'm Jerry m'am. I'll be back to pick you up at eight-thirty. Good day." he said before climbing into his car and swiftly taking off down the street. I stared at my driveway in aw. Jerry? The guy Owen had been speaking to on the phone last night about Veronica.

     I closed the front door now, setting the box on the island counter in the kitchen. I smiled wide at it, a white envelop tucked under the black bow. A princess cannot attend a ball without a gown. Love, Owen. XOXOXX  I could feel my cheeks heating as I read Owen's handwriting. I bit my lower lip, excitement bursting through my veins as I gently removed the lid of the box. Sitting on top of a black mess was a perfect silver/white wire mask. It spun and twirled into a spade shape in the middle of the eyes at the top. It was beautiful. I slowly moved it to my face, holding it against my cheeks. It fit perfectly, a thin black ribbon connecting to either side to tie around my head. I sat it down on the counter, my fingers shaking a little as I grabbed the black dress now. I pulled it out of the box, long and flowing sheer black fabric over a skin toned skirt. The torso was a magnificent lace design, sheer over the same skin toned fabric. It made a perfect heart shape around the top of the breasts, the shoulders made of the black lace cut out into perfect jagged outline. It was remarkable. I loved it. 

     I stood in front of the mirror, ten minutes before Jerry was supposed to pick me up. The dress fit me perfectly, falling around my feet. The tip of my toes peeking out at the bottom of my dress inside my black wedges. I had curled my hair and twisted it into a neat bun at the back of my head, curly trundles falling around my neck and cheeks. My newly cut blunt bangs were styled across my forehead, I wasn't sure I liked them but they fell perfectly at the top of my mask. I looked hot. Mysterious. Sexy. My makeup was dramatic and dark around my eyes, forcing them to pop out of the eye holes of my mask. I was holding a small black clutch big enough for my phone, ID, and cash. My phone buzzed in my hand, pulling me away from my reflection. 

Owen: I am uncontrollable with anticipation. I hope you will be arriving soon. 

Me: I can feel the energy pulsing through my veins now. As soon as your henchman collects me I will be all yours. 

Owen: Not a henchman,security. And his name is Jerry.

Me: Well JERRY looks like a henchman. ;)

     A knock at the door startled me, pulling me away from my flirty texts. My palms began to sweat as I quickly made my way downstairs and to the front door where Jerry was waiting for me. He stood next to me as I locked the front door, waiting for me to start walking for the Audi before following me. He swiftly moved in front of me, holding the back door open for me. "Thanks Jer." I winked at him, sliding in but my efforts to make him smile were useless. He stood with his empty look until I was in the car, slamming the door shut and moving to the driver's seat. He looked at me through the rear view before backing out of the driveway. I sighed in the silence, pulling my phone out again.