prologue

note: watch the video while reading this chapter ;)

Hello and I'm sorry. A salutation and a farewell. I don't have much time.

This times new roman is gonna fly from my fingertips like a plague of moths. The hollow black letter shells crunch ground like the skin of a cicada.

This is all that's left, and you can do whatever you want with it. Keep it to yourself or let it serve as a warning.

This city is disgusting. A corpse of what it used to be. The people are filthy, gluttonous, ruled by the power exchange of sex from the hands of the proletarian to the bourgeoisie.

The tops of the skyline buzz with a lacklustre enthusiasm. The ground level is kicked in dirt and rust and grime and the people that dwell there awake and rub the filmy layer off their lukewarm eyes.

The are some here I love, some who fear me, and some who wish I was dead.

I didn't ask for this. no one asks for this. You're born into it. You grow up oblivious and sheltered and one day the evil realities of this place hits you square between the eyes like a perfectly aimed bullet.

If this were a movie I'd ride off in some blood red sunset down a stretch of desert road into the wasteland that keeps us captive here, but this isn't a movie.

These are the badlands.

A/N:  sorry i honestly have no idea where i'm going with this or what i wanna do with this story but after watching the badlands trailer i feel like it fit zayn a lot and i want to write an au about him so here it is??? i have an obsession with writing about dystopian worlds. why am i even doing this?? lmao

(based on halsey's ((aka my mum)) badlands trailer, but the story is completely my own.)

warning: this is probably going to be a bit more mature than my other story, and will definitely contain a lot of mature content!! just a note :)

all the love as always.

-elle <3