chapter two

→ you've had a landscaper and a house keeper, since you were born,
the starshine always kept you warm.
so why see the world,
when you've got the beach?

- sweet life, frank ocean

&&

II. Serena

HEIST AT ASHMONT CITY BANK

ASHMONT - There has been a reported heist at the Ashmont City Bank in the early hours of the morning. It has been suggested that arsonists caused a fire outside the bank during the robbery, which, in turn, allowed the robber to make his way inside and steal a $5,000 cheque. Police are unsure of the suspects, however, one witness is currently being held in custody by police for questioning, Arden Beckinsale, who was outside the bank during the heist. One receptionist confirmed that the security cameras inside the bank were inoperative at the time, but one camera outside the bank captured a black-haired, tanned, and tall man, around late teens to mid-twenties, running out of Ashmont City Bank at 2:37 am. The Ashmont City Police Department are asking for witnesses of the scene to come forward.

"What are you reading there, Serena?" My father asks, gesturing to the newspaper I had held in my hands. I hand it to him, knowing that he would be interested in reading it. After all, it was about Ashmont and their never-ending stories of how the city turned into a wreck after George Crawley became mayor.

Even with all of the hundreds of tabloids outlining each and every crime that happened over there, Ashmont was still a complete mystery to me. My parents weren't shy of reminding me of how horrible, brutal and difficult living in Ashmont was, earning the title of 'the badlands' by the people who lived there. Out of the 20 years that I've been alive for, I've never set foot in the badlands. Ever.

Kidnappings, robberies, assaults, even homicide - just to name a few - were normal, everyday happenings over in Ashmont. Although it may seem unfortunate to many, my father was actually benefitting from all of this - he's the mayor of the neighbouring city, Roseburgh. It made it seem like Ashmont was inferior to our city, like it was disgusting, filthy, and gluttonous. The long living rivalry between the both of them meant that they acted like mortal enemies and didn't think twice about dissing each other at press conferences, interviews, and what-not.

Despite all of this, Ashmont still had a prospering economy, which extremely irritated my father. It wasn't a secret to why this was, though - illegal, underground rings full of drugs and sex was what kept the city thriving. Basically, money made Ashmont go 'round.

My father quickly skims through the article, before slamming the newspaper on the dining table, "What is this, the third instance of a heist this week? And what the hell is George Crawley doing? Probably sipping a bottle of champagne on his private yacht or something. Ridiculous! I can't believe he's letting this happen!"

"Hey, maybe Ashmont isn't that bad," I blurt out without thinking. "Maybe we're just creating a false image of it in our heads and we just tend to believe it, because we want to believe that Roseburgh is the better city."

My father's expression falters with my comment, evidently unhappy with my comment, but I immediately back it up, "I mean, of course, Roseburgh is obviously the better city. I'm just guessing things about Ashmont. I'm sorry."

My mother comes to the rescue, speaking before my father could scold me, "Darling, Ashmont has always been that way. The people there have always lived in such an awful, disgusting place. They'll follow the example set by others, using crime, violence and supremacy to make a living. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about it." She chimes in theoretically.