Reason Nineteen

A/N: I thought I'd just let you guys know that I love you...that sounded way less creepy in my head, but whatever. The comments on this story are too funny, and I don't think you have any idea how ridiculous I look sitting here and laughing to myself at all the stuff you guys say. One of them made me spit out my coffee...no joke. If you're trying to one-up that comment, coffee-spitting is the response to beat. So, game on. I salute you all. 

Xoxoxoxo,
Railene

Reason Nineteen not to go to law school: The awful feeling that your PI is your responsibility.

"So just like that, she kicked you out?"

"She didn't kick me out," I defended. "She asked me to leave and I did so voluntarily."

"Okay..." Julio said, absorbing the fact that at this point I was certifiably crazy. "Don't you think she overreacted just a little?"

"Yeah," I sighed. "I do. But she can't help how she feels. And it's my fault."

"So what, you're broken up now?"

I deflated then. I hated the words "broken up." They sounded so official, and while maybe they could have been used to describe the state we were in, I didn't know for sure what our future would hold. I wasn't one to lose hope until I'd done everything I could - for if I was, I would have already dropped Samantha Steinbeck's case.

"Not necessarily," I said. "I think we need to reconcile. That's just going to be hard to do, because she won't talk to me."

"That would make it a little bit difficult."

"But you know, I don't think this is really about one kiss. This is the culmination of what's been accumulating for a long time. I work too much. I don't pay her enough attention. I don't call when I say I will, or I come home an hour and seventeen minutes late with flowers with the cellophane from the florist that's two blocks away--"

"Cassandra," he said, thankfully stopping me, and pulling a tissue from the box I'd last retreived for Elisa Steinbeck. That felt so long ago. "Get ahold of yourself," he said.

I sat down in my office chair, opposite him. Finally, I admitted the one thing I hated most to admit. "I don't know what to do."

"You don't know what to do?" Julio challenged. "Cass, that's not something I've ever heard you say."

"What are you talking about?" 

"You never don't know what to do. If something isn't going your way, you say, 'Oh, let's try this.' Or 'Hm, we haven't considered that.' Or 'Julio, let's go back to Clearview to interrogate for the seventeenth time. Please, for me?'"

"Your point, Julio." His deprecation was getting us nowhere.

"My point is, Counselor Cassandra Foreman always has something new to try. And when she doesn't know what to do, she pretends she does, picks something to do, and acts on it."

I shook my head. "Not this time, Julio. This isn't the law. This is life. And getting the two mixed up is what killed my relationship."

"You're looking at it wrong," he said. "The law is your life. It's what you're good at, and we all know it's your passion. Even Mel knows that. That's why she put up with it as long as she did."

"But she's not," I realized. "Anymore."

"Not if you don't chase her, she's not."

"Julio, how? How can I chase her if she won't even talk to me? I don't even have her key anymore."