I Saw Her Standing There...

I wake up, feeling as if I didn't sleep at all. I look around my room- dull, with no lighting. My eyes then focus on the door which was slightly opened. Mother must have watched me sleep again- I don't mind. I and my mother have always had a strong relationship, more so than ever.

Since my dad passed, she's never been the same, but somehow, she's manage to put a smile on every day. But I know behind closed doors, she isn't the happy person you want her to be. She constantly blames herself for the death of my father, even though she wasn't there when it happened.

I get up and get ready for school. Just as I put my shirt on, my mother walks in and smiles at me. I smile back. "How did you sleep?" she says. "Like a rock on a rock." I grin. She hugs me and tells me that breakfast is done and waiting then leaves the room. I walk out and close the door behind me.

As I and my mother walks down the narrow hall, she begins to talk, "So, who is this lady friend of yours?" "Who?" I ask. "Don't play like that, you know who." She looks back to see me shrugging. "Alice, Alice Knightly? The one that you always talk about?" she asks. We stop in the hall. My stomach turns... how does she know?

Mother continues talking, "If you want her that bad, all you have to do is ask her, just one simple question." "If only it were that easy." I mutter. Mother smiles, "your dad was the same, shy to do just about anything, but you know what? He gained his courage to ask, and he gained my love." "So what you're telling me is you loved him because he was courageous?" I questioned. "Well... that and because I thought your father was super cute." Mother replied. After the conversation and breakfast, it was time to go.

Mother always drove me to school, and always passed the road where Alice lived. I would always quickly look to see if she was still there or not. This time, she wasn't. "Is that where she lives, Ty?" My eyes widen. "No, I thought I seen something." I reply. Mother looks ahead and says nothing.

We finally arrive at the school. Mother drops me off and drives away. I stand by a pole watching mother turn a corner and disappear from sight. I spin my-self around and start heading to class. I walk through the front double doors and instantly stop. She was standing there, beautiful as ever. She wore a simple pair of black skinny jeans and a grey tee with an owl perched on a branch. Over that was a black sheer jacket which went down to her waist. I wasted no time looking at her shoe's. Alice always wore the same pair of shoe's, which was a pair of light grayish converses. I looked up to her face and noticed she was looking at me...

I quickly looked at the way I was heading and hurried to the classroom.