My Permanent Record Comes Back To Haunt Me

I hovered over the border of sleeping and waking up after a while, I did my best to avoid waking myself up by not thinking. But going back to sleep before you fully wake up is difficult when a couple of loudmouths decide to talk right beside you.

I had felt warm as though I were buried under a pile of soft blanket on a cold night, until I began to feel the cold air creep into my safe haven.

"Michael, she's just a-"

"What have I told you?" a harsh voice responded before she could finish what she was trying to say. "You are to call me 'praetor Michael'," he proudly said his title.

Why the Hades does that sound familiar? I asked myself, digging around my memories. Is that a role play from a show, or a commercial that is played too much?

"Of course, praetor Michael," the feminine voice responded, she was clearly aggravated. "She's just a-"

"I don't care!" Michael cut her short yet again. "No one receives special treatment just because they are young. If that scum was part of the Greeks, then it must lead us to camp. It shall cut our time in half."

That's when it clicked into place. I had had a dream about this moment an hour ago, or maybe it was two hours... I silently cursed in my head, this time it wasn't because I was worried about the child that was held captive by the Romans. I knew that the kid could take care of themselves because I was that kid. I had gotten myself kidnapped by the Romans and now I was going to be the one to lead them to camp, or at least that's what they thought.

"It's going to take a lot of effort to keep her from escaping," the girl pointed out. Oh, go on, I encouraged in my head, enjoying the compliments. "One minute without supervision would allow her to find a way out and out goes our GPS." You really think that? I wondered. I'm quite flattered, but I'm starting to wonder if you're talking about someone else. "Anyway, she's too young to know how to drive or how to get anywhere. Believe me, she'll only be a burden on our journey."

As convincing as that is, Michael is a complete idiot so he's not going to listen, I silently told her in my head. You'll see in 3...2...1

"Listen here. Everyone is able to help us. She could answer some questions, like telling us if it's in a crowded area or by the water or if there is any special way to get in. Now stop with your criticism and start composing yourself," Michael instructed sternly, just as I expected.

As their conversation came to an end, I began to taking in all I could about my position. Cold air blew on my face, except around my eyes. I figured that there was probably a blind fold that blocked my vision. When I strained my ears, I could make out the high-pitched sound that came from the tires that spun quickly on the road. I was in one of their limos and they were racing down a long straight road. Away from the Loner...away from Conner...

"There's a tear!" a girl exclaimed before she started whispering. "She's awake."

I took a deep breath; they caught me.

The blind fold was taken off, my slightly-sweaty face felt cold as the AC blew on it. I opened my eyes to face a guy that looked to be in his late twenties. He had bright orange hair that was in a buzz cut and orange-brown freckles that covered him all over. He was looking me in the eyes, his were a dark brown, nearly black.

How do I play this? Helpless little girl? Love-struck teenager? Rebel? I asked myself. Be someone else, best to cover myself.

"What is your name?" he asked firmly.

"Sky Lark," I answered.

Hey! I thought that we were in this together! Sky protested. Remember the last time that you tried to be me? You could not do it to save your life.