Chapter One

Chapter One

----------------

Guests

--------

Hazel

My breath came in short bursts as I rushed around the corner and lithely leapt up onto the roof of my two story house. Widening my grin, I spotted my brother run towards the gate which I had leapt over to reach the mud roof. His triumphant smirk made me blow my cover and burst out laughing. Theo turned around with his hands on is hips. That is NOT fair! You made me think I had won! Squinting his eyes in an accusation he pouted at me. Besides, you know i don't have your freakish agility!

"I win." I said as I leapt off the roof and onto his shoulders. Just as I was about to jump off him, he started sprinting causing me to grip his shoulders and squeak in fright. He started laughing at me and pulled me off his shoulders. As soon as my feet touched the ground, my father came out.

"Come in Theodore and Hazel dinner is ready, however you might have to skip it if you keep on making that infernal racket. You had also better clean yourself off before you come in or your mother will have a fit." He scolded them in a strict tone yet kindness laced through his words. Theo scowled at his father for using his full name before stomping off.

An eerie silence lingered at the table as it always did. The only noise throughout the entire meal was when my mother cuffed me around the head for ruining my dress and my father and brother laughed softly until I glared at them. "Now, now, Hazel, a proper woman does not glare!" My eyes rolled at her and she told me off again before sending me to bed.

As I trudged to my room a yawn escaped my mouth just as I reached the end of the house and slipped into my room. I sighed when I spotted the huge king sized bed that filled up half of the room. The other half was pilled with draws of large gathered dresses and other rich accessories and garments. Beneath me my legs wobbled and I collapsed onto the warm rug which lay by the window. The window covered the whole of the wall and allows People to see outside from any where in the room. I despised having to live as a royal, with money aplenty and only a horrible spinning wheel for company as I tried my best to avoid my bothersome mother. Thick, heavy garments burdened me every day, slowing my naturally light steps and turning to many heads to my liking. Mother rarely allowed me off the property but whenever she did, I was forced to be accompanied by my father as it was against the law.

Knocking sounded at the door as bright light seeped through the thin skin covering my eyes, causing me to automatically flinch and turn from the oncoming wave of heat. A groan escaped my lips as my mother screamed for me to get up and greet some guests. Quickly, I grabbed a forest green dress and shaded my eyes from the sun which for some strange reason I seemed to hate unlike the rest of my family.

Thundering through the house a vase broke. I hurried down to see what had happened and saw a boy who lookedaround the age of 18 gasping at something my mother had said. Abruptly regaining his posture he studied me with interest and I stepped backwards from his piercing gaze. When I gained the courage to properly look at him I stared in surprise, his eyes were purple. Never before had I seen a pair of eyes so enchanting. Beside him stood a girl who looked marginally older than me. She too had purple eyes and had similar features to the boy. What with her sharp angled face and light brown hair. The girl stood comfortably with her hair falling over her shoulders whilst the boy stood rigidly his hair too, was perfect and brushed back. Aware that my blond hair was in a right state, I dragged my manicured fingers through it to hopefully straighten it up a little bit. They watched my every movement just as my mother watched theirs. She seemed to disapprove of them scrutinising her daughter. Cowering, I felt like mouse a caught by group of cats.