Chapter 1

A week earlier, my ambient life ended. I was still in Chicago. It was nearly 4:00. I stepped off the bus, very quickly dabbing my underarms. It's the worst thing forgetting your deodorant when it's nearly 94 outside. I turned and waved the bus driver, thanking him for the ride. The doors closed without a response and he drove off.

I glanced at my phone in my right hand. I couldn't see past the glare so I ended up completely missing her text. My friend Fawn and I maintained an amazing friendship, quite impressive really. We grew up in the same neighborhood, and she moved away just in time for us to get cell phones so we talked and texted constantly. Today she was supposed to drop by for a visit, the first time I've seen her in a long time.

 I pressed my earbuds into place and hit play on Spotify, immediately discovering a fucking ad. I bit my lip and cursed at my phone, suddenly imagining all the illegal things I would do to the ad guy if I ever met him in person. Regardless I sucked it up and walked across the street and onto my block. After the ad ended, my ears were... treated, to that overplayed Imagine Dragons bull I can't bother to remove from my playlists. I tore off the earbuds and walked in silence, pouting about how I never heard the good songs on mobile.

I lived on a standard T-intersection. The stop sign in front of my house had long been bent over from harsh winds and reckless drivers but still it served as a welcome home. I moved under the shade of the large oak trees lining the road, grateful to get out of the god forsaken sun. The sidewalk was cracked thoroughly. Once, their sharp peaks and valleys of broken pavement were the pathways where I learned how to ride a bike years before.

I arrived at my house, walked up the steps and slid the key into place in the door. My backpack seemed to be heavier with every second I stood there. Then I heard the lock click. I pressed my weight against the door and with a hiss it swung open. I let the bag fall from my shoulders and I slammed the door closed with my right foot. Dragging that sack of books to the door of my room, I kicked off my right shoe and made my way into the kitchen, Dad left the radio on turned to the news.

I listened for once to the reporter. "And the authorities still have no answers about the mysterious fires. They have suspicions they were chemical however based off eye-witness reports claiming the blaze burned in various colors. They could not establish a direct link between the similar cases of arson from Florida to our city but they are hard at work and assure citizens that everything is under control and to resume daily activities. This has been-" I cut her off, shutting off the radio.

Honestly I don't understand why he listens to that station. Nothing exciting. I squated down at the snack cabinet door and with the tips of my fingers threw it open. I started to look through the various boxes of food when I was interrupted by the sound of the home phone.

"What now,' I groaned. Hesitantly, as if a child, I stomped over to the dining room and read the caller ID: Chicago Public Schools... Okay never-mind. I let the call go to voicemail and instead of returning to the kitchen I walked into my room and collapsed onto the bed. The covers were strewn about the mattress and my pillow was nowhere to be seen. I closed my eyes, allowing myself to just... take a load off. My brain felt all fuzzy and just as I was drifting off, the doorbell rang twice.

    "Oh come on! I just got in!" I threw off the covers and sat up, I could still feel my body gravitating towards the cool bed but I ignored the feeling and walked to the door, still half asleep. I peeked through the window. She was standing there in a green flower blouse thing and blue jeans. Her brown hair was tied tight in a ponytail and she greeted me with one of those, you look absolutely ridiculous, grins. I opened the door and she threw herself into my arms.
     "Paxton!" She nearly tackled me to the ground but I managed to hold her back, still yawning, and I responded. "A little early in the morning for a visit isn't it?"