What Was Meant to Be

It was about seven in the night hours when we arrived back home. We had got groceries, blankets, and clothes. I hadn't bought so much in my life, not even when I was living in my old house. That night, we had a good dinner and the power went out from the wind at about eight so Claire had to sleep upstairs with Martha and Kity.

I stayed downstairs, I tended to enjoy the cold in the middle of thet night-- I didn't know why. I was upstairs after I had gotten in my pajamas and, saying good night to Claire. I went down stairs, back into Darren's and my room. We had to share a bed because there were no other mattresses. (I didn't seem to mind, though.)

I went around the bed, seeing that Darren was in the bathroom, brushing his teeth. I walked to my side, on the right. He looked to me and spit into the sink. He put his tooth brush away and came over. We rolled down the covers at the same time and moved the decorative blanket to the end. I could feel his eyes on me. From the corner of my eye, I could also see a small smile on his face. I looked away and smiled, too. (I couldn't help it. It was whenever I liked someone, whenever they smiled or laughed, it was like I had to, too.)

I sat on the bed and got under the covers. Then he did the same. We faced each other for a few seconds and in the awkwardness of the moment we laughed at the same time. I turned and turned off the lamp that was on my side of the bed. I turned back and we was still looking at me. I smiled.

"Jo?" He asked.

I looked at him. I knew this was the moment that he would ask me; ask me to be with him. He perched himself up on his elbow and I laid down on the pillow. We looked at each other.

"Yes?" I asked him.

He leaned closer to me.

"Do you believe in finding love from your last life, before this one?" He asked. I looked at his beautiful face and thought as I did.

'Is this really happening?' I thought.

I nodded, "Yea," I said, a small smile starting to form across my face.

He looked down again. "Do you believe--" He paused like he was nervous, or worried, "that was us?" He said with a half-smile.

I smiled at him and his expression seemed pleased. "You have no idea how long I have been waiting for you to say those words to me," My eyes concentrated on his and he was doing the same to mine, "Ever since the day we met, when you kept me warm that one night," He smiled, "I knew you were the best thing that would ever happen to me," I smiled, too.

"And you have no idea how long I have been waiting to hear you say that," he was still smiling, "I love you, Jo."

He came over me and held me. "I love you, too," I whispered. He lifted me into his arms from the bed. I rapped my arms around his neck and I balanced myself so he could hold me. This was the one thing I had been waiting for the most.

This is how it was meant to be.