Araunya Deerhart

A woman sat at the kitchen table, a cup of black tea in front of her, forgotten. Her hair was mousy brown, cut short so that the points at the top of her ears showed. Elven: he knew from those ears, and her high, pronounced cheekbones. Her nose, though, was not elven; it was slightly flat and just a little too wide. Her lips were full and thick but chapped and bitten as though she worried at them constantly. It struck him how like Forth'Wyn's her eyes were – how terribly alike – as she turned and looked straight through him to the window. They spoke volumes. There was a wanderlust in those eyes as she watched the lake, almost as if she was ready to pack her bags and sail away to another land.

She appeared to chase the thought away with a shake of her head and her familiar eyes clouded over. She took a gulp of her tea and coughed it back into the cup, discovering that it was suddenly cold; how long had she been sat there daydreaming about the world when there was work to be done?

Daaja! Daaja!" A girl no more than a child sprinted into the room babbling in non-stop elven. She dragged at her mother's arm, pulling her frantically until she could manage to say "Yogh! Fire!" The woman's eyes widened and she scooped the young Forth'Wyn up into her arms, knocking the door open with her shoulder and racing away.