Prologue: Our World

Scarlet

  "Shut the hell up!"

  "B-But, my child--"

  "Lady, I will not say it again! Don't say another damn word!"

  The woman holding her bare child crashed to the ground, kicking up the water of a small, putrid pond beneath her. She could only hang her head in despair, probably trying to wrap her head around her actions. They weren't wrong and she only wished for the safety of her child. She had stole supplies and food for her and her child, probably hoping to survive another week on the streets. I watched her do it, but I didn't interfere with her actions; it may have been wrong, but with our current world, justice is nothing solid anymore.

  As fear stretched across her swollen face from the abuse of the man in dark armor, she held her child tighter, gritting her teeth. The naked child screamed softly into her ears, slowly losing speech. The woman's gaze was twisted, tainted with regret and sadness. She looked transfixed at the man, trying to find his eyes underneath the plated helmet. A careless smile was plastered on her face and with a single movement, the man raised his gun and aimed it directly at her forehead.

  The woman said nothing, but merely smiled. It was pure, and the wrinkles on her face faded along with her worries. The child lay still, dead and lifeless. Opening her eyes to the man, only a cold darkness awaited him along with her words, "So, this is the result of our world?"

  Bang!

  The woman looked startled up at the man and just as evenly at me. I stopped his attempt to murder this woman in cold blood. Easily, I slipped my leg underneath his own and threw him off balance, next elbowing his chest and slamming him into the ground with my booted foot. I winced at the steel connection between my elbow and his body armor, I didn't expect it to be so tough.

  The man struggled underneath my boot, but I applied pressure on him, leaning down in the process. I whispered to him, "I hate scum like you."

  "Who are you?!" His alarming tone echoed underneath his helmet.

  "Y-You're..."

  I quickly pressed my raised finger against my thin lips, looking back at the woman slyly. She nodded curtly, understanding my intentions. The armored man grabbed my leg, but swiftly I stabbed my foot at his helmet and watched it flip off. Almost as if his identity was threatened, he covered his face with his gauntlet hands.

  I burned the image of the dead child in my mind. It was cruel way for such a young soul to go. Without even experiencing life, but I believe it was for the best. In this world, it literally is a eat or be eaten world. The enforcers sought order, but abused society to their liking, hiding behind helmets to cover their identities. It's what separated them from the lower humans.

  I glowered at the man, trying to hide his face. I laughed in disbelief, shaking my head, "You disgust me. You're a man and you won't even show your damn face. Coward."

  He remained silent, but slowly I realized he was shaking. His life as a enforcer was on the line. With his identity known, society could mock him and possibly kill him for his alliance to such a corrupted government. Though, I cared not for his direction in life. I witnessed him preparing to murder someone.

  He peeked through his entwined fingers and quickly they shot open. I aimed his own gun at him and he shrieked, struggling once again. Before he could try anything, I ended his life in an instant. A bloody hole planted in his forehead, his fingers dropping beside his head and the pool of crimson blood crowding around his head.

  I pulled my foot off the dead enforcer and looked back at the woman, shock visible. I tossed the weapon beside his head and crossed my arms over my chest, "You should get out of here. People will more than likely be here soon."

  Slowly, she recollected her thoughts, and her face lit up from my words, but soon darkened once she looked down the alley, "But, where do I go? I have no home or money or--"

  "Give me your hand."

  She obeyed my command and I placed a thin white card on her hand and watched her perk up in surprise. "M-Miss, I couldn't possibly take this...You'll need this more than me."

  I smirked lightly, "Don't sweat it. You'll be needing the money on that. Now, get out of here and head to Balterossa. Tell them that Scarlet sent you."

  "So, it's true..." The woman stared into my eyes. "You're her. The leader of the rebels."

  "I'm not the leader, lady." I chuckled. "Just someone who wants to save people. Justice needs to be remembered by the people in this world. Please, help me spread this message."

  "Thank you." She grabbed my hands, her child rocking in her lap. "I hope I can repay you somehow..."

  "Ah, well there's one thing you can do." I grinned, tying my hands behind my back.

  "What's that?"

  "I need directions to Maximilian, the 'High King' of Alahard. I plan to royally fuck up his ball tonight."

~Author's Note~

Yo! I hope you enjoyed the prologue and I'm hoping to make this book the best at my current potential. For anyone who decides to be dedicated to this book, I look forward to your comments and your support. Also, tell me what you think of Scarlet so far with such little information? Do you think she will be likable for you? Don't forget--Vote, Comment, Follow, etc.