Chapter One

Wilderness is all our group could see for miles on end. We didn't know any place with civilization near. Hell, we didn't know where we at.

"Asbel, do you know what's going on with the leader's head right now? Something seems really off about him." Sophie, a small fragile girl asked.

"I think he's just worried about all of our safety, having to keep twelve people alive is just a real burden" I murmured.

I regretted saying that as soon I said it.

Sophie'a face darkened. I kept my mouth shut so I wouldn't say more idiotic things.

It's been almost what? Four months since the Great Guild war started.

Lloyd and Kratos, the two ace sword fighters in this group were getting sick and need serious medical help. Cheria being our only cleric, knows only basic healing spells that can cure a common cold and paper cuts.

Me on the others hand I was born without magical skills and close combat experience. If you didn't have any of those you might as well be dead.

Well. I wouldn't say I was born without magical skills. I'm an animia. I talk to any animals or insect. But I wish it'd help in this situation.

"Everyone we're setting up camp for tonight!" Hubert, the leader of our group called out. We all stopped and praised that we finally got a break in this hellhole.

"Cheria, Raine and Flynn you guys set up the tents. Asbel and Sophie you guys find wood for the fire, we'll need a ton since we're gonna have to keep watch all night"

"What about us Hubert?" one of the older females, Pascal asked. She was a short ranged magic attacker. Twenty-one years old and she could brutally hurt any of us if she wanted.

"You, Genis,Presea and Jude, keep watch around the camp. I feel something peculiar in this area." Hubert said with a brief sigh. Everyone chattered on how much of their jobs were a pain in the butt, how we were real hungry.

"Didn't you hear him? Move out everybody, standing around won't get anything done!" Kratos yelled. He was pretty much the older and strongest ones. Everyone is unsure of his background.

"You need to rest, your body is in a serious state right now" Lloyd whispered. He was having trouble breathing already. Being the third strongest person in our group he was getting weaker and weaker as the war dragged on.

"Come on Asbel, lets get going" Sophie said as she tugged on my sleeve.

I looked at her. She was really pale and I believe she's about 12 years old. Only 6 years younger than me.

I followed her into the thick forest.

We made sure to pick up any kind of fruits or vegetables we could find, which was impossible.

I whistled a short tune for any canis familiar around. Nothing. I did the same for the feline.

Still nothing. I took a long sigh. Sophie must've seen how frustrated I looked.

"Don't worry, how about I just summon a Boar instead? We can use it as a carriage for the firewood and what else we could find."

She was a smart twelve year old, that's for sure.

"Nah, we don't need any more confusion in this forest. Plus we only have a limit of mana left. I'll carry the wood and you can carry the food in the pack" I told her.

We were able to pick up mostly logs for the fire to last a night.

I heard a rustling noise. I stopped in my pace. I felt a surge of fear in my body.

"Sophie, hold on." I whispered

"What is it Asbel?" She asked. Clueless of the noise.

There it was again. Instead it was coming from above.

"Asbel watch out, Breakers are here!" Sophie shouted.

I dropped everything in my arms and went straight to Sophie. "Sophie run back to camp, tell Hubert and all of them that we're not safe here and we need to move!" I told her as fast as I could and pushed her towards where the camp was set.

"I'm not leaving you! I'm staying." She cried.

They were now making their move. If she stays any longer I can't protect us. I can't even protect myself from them.

"For fuck sakes Sophie, Go now!'

I was shaking now. I can't do anything to fight them.

"But Asb--"

"I promise you, I'll come back safely. Okay?" I smiled at her. I need to reassure her that I'll still be here then. I need her to get Pascal and Genis here fast.

She looked at me with so much pain in her eyes. This wasn't gonna work. She's not going to leave my side. I grabbed her and hand and tried to run back to camp. Her legs weren't holding up. I reached into my bag, good. I have a few more return scrolls left. We stopped behind a few shrubs and I pushed her down so they wouldn't sense us. "What are you doing?" She asked.

I covered her mouth and whispered "Return: Hubert Oswell, now!"

Her eyes widened. "Asbel, what are ---" before she could finish the sentence. She disappeared along with the food and scroll.

"Asbel Lhant, we finally caught up to you and your group, surrender now or prepare to die." The Breaker hissed in their eerie voices that make shivers run up your spine.

"Either way, the outcomes the same, we die." I laughed.

The Breakers hissed at me.

"Surrender or die" they said once more in unison.

I don't think I could take on four at a time. "I'm choosing to fight"

I pulled out my dagger. I wish I knew how to use one in a fight instead of just scaring off predators.

"Sorry you guys, I don't think you're gonna make it past me." I said out loud. I'm sorry Sophie I might have to break that promise of ours...

----------------------------------

Chapter one of 'Palisades'

So far here are some of the characters name and their short bio.

Hubert Oswell - 17 years old. Uses dual guns/blades. Very high maintenance. He also was adopted at a very young age and doesn't have an idea of who his real family is. He's the leader of this group since he's very good at protecting and battling.

Asbel Lhant- 18 years old. Main character. He's very kind and idiotic person. No one takes him seriously because of his skills of talking to animals and insects. He can gain new skills from learning, like barriers and small protection skills from Cheria. Many more to learn about him.

Cheria- 18 years old. She's a very motherly nature type compared to the rest of the females in the group. She gets overprotective over Sophie, Presea and Genis considering their the youngest. Her abilities include Small healing skills for now. Small barriers so low-leveled predators wouldn't be able to penetrate.

Breakers- They all are faceless people. The only thing they have is a soundbox coming from their chest. So they hiss most of the time or say short sentences. The more distinguishing features they have the stronger they are.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate it. Sorry for the many errors. I also get these characters from video games. The story line may have holes in them. But I promise I can make up for it. (: