Chapter 7 - The Train (Thorne)

Once I close the door behind me, I take a seat on the edge of my bed and gaze out the window, simply content with watching the scenery fly past as we make our way to the Capitol and probably to my death. It dawns on me as I sit there, alone with my thoughts that this could well be the last week of my life. Surprisingly, the thought doesn't scare me as much as I thought it would; but I can't help but wonder how it will happen. Will I die in the bloodbath? Of dehydration? Maybe I will make it to the very end only to be killed by some horrible mutation or a fellow tribute.

I shake my head and jump to my feet. There's no point in dwelling on that now. Besides, it will be dinner time soon and I want to make up with Anya before that. I'm scared that I might have offended her when I pushed her away earlier. Hopefully she'll understand - she did go through all of this just last year, after all.

I step out into the hallway and walk down until I reach the door to her room. Quickly before I can change my mind, I knock on her door and wait patiently outside until she opens the door. She looks surprised to see me for a moment before she smiles.

"Hey," I say quietly. "Can I come in?"

"Umm yeah, of course," she says, still a little hesitantly.

I follow her into the room and notice that it is basically the same layout as mine except decorated in different colours.

"So what's up?" she asks.

"I just... wanted to apologise," I say. "For what I said earlier about wanting some time alone. I suppose I was just... getting used to the fact that this could be the very final week of my life. My entire life, Anya. You have to admit that's sort of scary."

She nods in understanding and if I'm not mistaken, her gaze softens in relief. Perhaps she thought I didn't want anything to do with her anymore; that I blamed her for the predicament we now have to face.

"I need you by my side, Anya. Please will you help me?"

"Of course I will!" she replies without hesitating for even a moment.

I smile at her before pulling her into my arms and holding her tight. She rests her head on my shoulder, relaxing into my embrace.

We stay there for what feels like forever before either of us speaks again.

"I was worried you blamed me for what happened..." she admits quietly.

"Of course I don't," I reply. "What could you do? Besides, it was my decision to help you in the arena last year."

"Yes but it was me that accepted your help. I could have just ignored you... I should have just ignored you."