chapter 3

Yui: the next day

As I opened my eyes, I saw the light shining through my window and heard the birds singing. I had met a little boy yesterday who called himself Leo. I would never forget what he had done - how he had turned a special day that meant the world to me into one of my worst nightmares. Mommy was really scared and kept repeating, "It has begun," but to be honest, he was really nice to me. It made me kind of miss him.

I quickly got dressed and hurried downstairs for breakfast. All the kitchen maids were relieved to see me, and I was quite happy that they cared. "Mommy, can I go into the gardens today?" I asked. "No, after yesterday, I cannot let you leave again," she replied. I pleaded, "But mommy, just one more time, please. I will be more careful, just one more time." With hesitation and a sigh, mommy said yes, but I had to be back before sundown. I was off to go find Leo.

As I came into the gardens, I saw Leo sitting under a blossom tree with a box and some bread. "Hi Leo," I said. He stood up and gave me the box, saying, "Happy birthday." I was surprised but then smiled happily as I opened the box. Inside was a handmade wreath of white flowers and ribbons. "It's so pretty," I said. Leo apologized about yesterday, and I forgave him. He asked if I wanted to go to his bakery for cookies, and I said yes with a smile.

Leo took the wreath and put it on my head, saying, "There you are, now Princess Yui, and I'm your prince." We laughed at how silly he sounded but then stopped when he looked at me with his brown eyes. The next thing I knew, I was being picked up! I asked him to put me down, and he said, "Alright." His voice was very familiar, but very gray, like a dark whisper. I shivered at the sound of his voice. He strode menacingly towards the rose bush, its thorny tendrils curling ominously. I swallowed hard and asked, "What are you doing?" In a fluid motion, he spun around and launched me towards the bush with a ferocious growl.

I tumbled headlong into the prickly embrace of the roses, their thorns tearing into my flesh like razor sharp claws. Pain lanced through my body as I felt the warm trickle of blood down my arms, each droplet marking a wound inflicted by the relentless roses.

I was trapped, helpless and alone, with no one to turn to but Leo. My cries for help echoed through the emptiness, but no one came to my aid. And there he stood, like a sinister statue, watching my desperate attempts to survive. I begged, I pleaded, but Leo remained unmoved, his eyes empty and his smile twisted. In that moment, I was filled with an overwhelming sense of fear and desperation.

"Leo! Please, help me!" I screamed, but he just looked down upon me with a sinister grin. My strength was waning, my vision blurring, as I felt my consciousness slipping away. And then, as if in slow motion, I saw Leo's face looming over me, taunting me with his cold smile. The last thing I heard was his chilling voice, asking "why?" before I was consumed by darkness."