Connie

"Good morning, Connie."

Connie looked up from her cereal and saw Mary. Her hair was a giant mess on her head as if she'd just been attacked by a bear.

Connie smiled, swirling her spoon through her cereal milk. "Hey Mary. How'd you sleep?"

"Good," Mary slurred. "I had a dream about Netflix last night." 

"Only you would have a dream about laying on the couch and doing nothing. Although, that does sound nice right about now." Connie had been up until 3 texting Mark. She had struggled to wake up when her alarm went off at 5.

"What's for breakfast?" asked Mary.

"Well, we don't have much but we have cereal and pop tarts."

Mary opened up all the cabinets and grabbed a bottle of wine. She checked the label and nodded, impressed by the expensive selection.

Connie looked at her roommate and flinched. "Do you really need to drink this early in the morning? Plus, I bought that for me and Mark. You know that."

But Mary had already opened the bottle. "Well, you and Mark will just have to drink less."

"The person who needs to drink less is you."

Mary lifted the bottle of dark purple booze to her mouth, but stopped before she could sip and put the bottle down. "Fine. I was going to be an asshole and drink it all, but I know that your anniversary with Mark  is today, and you must of had to work hard for this wine, so I'll stop drinking it." Mary put the wine back where she'd found it and began raiding through the cabinets again. "There. I'm such a nice friend."

Connie finished her cereal and put her bowl in the sink. She looked to her roommate, shaking her head to her sloppiness. "Mary, can you do me a favor?"

Mary closed the cabinets and sighed. "God, do we have any food in this apartment? What do you need?"

"Well, you know me and Mark have been madly in love with each other for four months now, and I'm starting to get really comfortable with him. So, if it's not too much trouble, maybe you could just make yourself scarce for the night?"

Mary sighed and laid her head on the counter. "Don't tell me I have to go out looking for real friends who won't kick me out of my apartment."

"Sorry. I just really want tonight to be special. And maybe . . . "

Mary lifted her head up and wore an evil look. "Oh . . . you mean sex, right?"

Connie nodded. "Yeah I guess so. And we can't exactly do that with you here."

Mary raised her eyebrows. "Threesome?"

"WHAT?? No!! No, Mary. Can't you go have a few drinks, or meet up with Tyler or something?"

Mary slapped her hand on the counter and muttered a curse word. "First of all, Connie, the last time I went out drinking, I ended up in the apartment of some old man who took four Viagra pills while we were having sex. Second of all, me and Tyler broke up last night. Third of all, I don't see any reason why I can't just hide in my room and Mark doesn't have to know I'm here."

Connie rubbed her forehead. She didn't know that Mary and Tyler had broken up. They did only last three days though, so Mary shouldn't have been too upset. Connie knew she had to compromise or there wouldn't be any agreements. "Okay, fine. I guess we can do that. But you can't come out of that room at all. Not even to get food."

"HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO SURVIVE?"

"Ugh! I'll go out and buy you some snacks. Good ones, to get you through the night."