A Harsh Howl

Chapter One

I stared at his eyes, unmoving. I had never felt uncomfortable around Derek, even if he was a guy. We’d known each other since we were kids, and even if other girls saw him as an attractive young man, all I could see was my best friend from childhood.

But today was different as we walked around the park, the lampposts giving off a heavenly white glow, and I couldn’t help, but really notice how much of a man Derek was. His body, which had been lean and scrawny through our early teens, was now covered in muscle, matched with broad shoulders and a strong chin. His hair was blonde and cut so the curls wouldn’t get caught in his eyes. I stared into his chocolate brown eyes though, the only thing that hadn’t changed, and they reassured me as always.

Derek licked his lips, nervous. “I know how you are around men, Ivy.” He watched his feet uncomfortably as we walked; an old habit he couldn’t seem to get rid of. “And I know you’ve always seen me as a friend, and I’m glad you’re comfortable around me.” He looked up, stopping under a lamppost. “But sometimes I wonder what you see me as.”

I looked the other way, feeling tears prick in my eyes. Why did Derek have to make things so complicated? Why couldn’t he just be the goofy best friend I always knew? It was never enough, for anyone, and I was beginning to really hate love. It screwed with everything.

Derek stared at me, anticipating an answer.

“I…”

I was interrupted by the sound of a harsh howl. A dog whimpered and cried somewhere in the distance, making me flinch. Jerking my head around, the sound ended quickly, before starting up again.

“Ivy?”

I started chasing after the dog, hearing Derek at my heels.

“Ivy, hold on a second!” He tried to convince me as I continued running, listening for the sound. It was late night, maybe even early morning, and our small-town remained quiet, beside the constant cry of a tortured animal. “Ivy, wait, we don’t know what’s going on. It could be dangerous!” Derek called.

Ah ha! I finally found the dog, lying on the cement flooring between two buildings. He was still, but in obvious pain, his foot caught in what appeared to be a bear trap.

“Whoa…” Derek whispered as I ran over to the dog’s side. The canine didn’t seem to notice me yet, wailing in pain.

“I’ll get you out in a second, buddy,” I soothed, gently petting his head. He didn’t notice, or at least care and I quickly inspected the trap. I first tried prying the thing open, my hands gripping onto the cool metal, to no avail.

I gasped, looking around. “Derek,” I called, peering back at him. “Get me that stick.”

He got it without question and handed it to me, but when I grabbed it, he held onto it.

“Ivy.” He breathed. He looked like he was going to say something else, but quickly changed his mind. “Be careful.”

I nodded, placing the stick into the trap, trying again to break it out. The thing budged, but otherwise stayed clamped.

I breathed harder, my body exhausted. “I can’t do it,” I wheezed, flicking cold sweat from my head.

Derek sighed, before his jeans brushed against my bare knees. “Move over,” he instructed, taking my place before the dog. He readjusted the stick, before prying the trap open.

It opened, just barely, but it was enough for the dog to squeeze his foot out of it. He limped a few steps away, falling back, before licking at the wound.