Dogs Are People Too

Chapter Two

“Hold still!”

A loud yelp comes from the dog as I secure his foot to the table, trying hard to clean the wound as he struggles. It’s already three in the morning and I’ve been working on this guy’s leg for about three hours. Actually, two hours I spent luring him out from all his hiding places and another forty five minutes I worked on getting him to physically sit still.

“I’m almost…done.” I released his foot and he stumbled as he stood up, already pulling at the gauze I’ve put on. “No, don’t do that!” I shooed his teeth away before he had a chance to pull the cloth away, and he growled in return.

I sighed. “If you don’t stop soon, I’ll have to put the cone on you.” For a moment, I think he actually understood me, because he stopped moving and just stared at me like I’m nuts. “It’s your choice,” I called, walking into the small kitchen.

Inside my cabinets I dug for a can of dog food and a clean bowl. I managed to get both the water and wet food bowl in my hand before the dog’s tail whacked at my thigh, making me spill water and meat on the floor. He quickly licked up the food.

“Yeah, you’re welcome,” I said sarcastically, placing the bowls onto a towel beside the wall. He bumped me out of the way again, now lapping at the water.

I stood up and looked over the dog. His fur was disheveled and rough, so he was obviously a stray. His people skills were also pretty bad, seeing as he wasn’t exactly friendly toward humans.

“I wonder if we can fit you in the bathtub.” I yawned, checking the clock above the sink. “Maybe tomorrow,” I mumbled, rubbing at my eyes. I can’t remember a time an animal’s made me this exhausted. Then again, most of the dogs I saved usually warm up to me right away.

I shrugged off the thought, taking a nice, hot shower. I couldn’t seem to forget what Derek said to me.

“You never think of the consequences, Ivy. Living for today, never thinking of tomorrow.”

So what if I was stuck in the moment? People have to learn to take things a step at a time. Otherwise, you’ll just get overwhelmed.

The bathroom was full of steam when I got out that I almost didn’t notice the peeping tom sticking his muzzle in the doors crack.

“So you are a boy.” I rolled my eyes, wrapping a towel over my body. “Maybe I should check,” I mused, walking over.

The dog ran off though, climbing onto my bed. He’s so large he takes up practically the whole space, staring at me with big, blue eyes.

“Boys are always so sensitive about their stuff, huh?” I laughed as I spoke to the dog, digging into my drawers. “As long as you promise not to peek, I’ll change,” I snickered, feeling better that I could speak to someone. Sometimes, it’s better to talk to animals than people. They were so much better listeners.

I quickly changed without the worry that my company would ogle at me and walked over to my bed. The dog hadn’t moved.

“Okay, you gotta go now.” I waved my hand toward the carpet, gesturing for him to jump down. He blinked at me, but otherwise didn’t move. “C’mon.” I started pushing him toward the edge of the bed, and I could hear him growling again. I continued shoving, but like the bear trap, he wouldn’t budge.

I sighed in defeat. “Fine. Stay, but don’t complain when I’m next to you,” I scold, squeezing between the dog and the wall. I felt sandwiched and uncomfortable. “Good night,” I grumbled, shutting my eyes.

I hadn’t realized how quickly I fell asleep until I opened my eyes.

I groaned, the sun shining brightly against my shades, and dug my head into my pillow. I hated mornings and I wasn’t particularly a fan of the sun.

“Ivy?” Someone called from the distance.

I sat up, eyes wide and angled to my bedroom door. I lived alone, so no one should have been here, and definitely not a man.

The footsteps neared, drawing closer, creaking against the wood flooring.

“Oh.” I sighed, finding Mr. Thompson at my doorway and not a serial killer. He looked at me, glaring, before his gaze went around the room.

“I heard a dog last night…” He started, gazing into the bathroom. I bit my lip, looking around my room. I didn’t see that dog anywhere. “And should I remind you no animals are allowed, especially dogs.” Mr. Thompson checked over my closest, sighing in disappoint. He turned back to me, still huddled under the blankets.

I shrugged. “There’s no dog here,” I lied, praying that giant canine wouldn’t come prancing into the room.

Mr. Thompson raised an eyebrow, before scratching the top of his bald head. “Alright, then. Don’t make me remind you of the rules again, Ivy,” he spat, before walking out the door.

“Gone, huh?” Derek asked as he poked into his ice cream sundae, ignoring the suggestive look the counter girl was giving.

“Yeah,” I sighed, staring into my strawberry scoop. “I couldn’t find him anywhere this morning. He must have ran out when Mr. Thompson came in.”

“Good riddance,” Derek muttered, licking his spoon clean. I glared, raising an eyebrow. “Well, what did you expect Ivy?” He asked, putting his spoon down. “You brought a wild animal into your apartment, which is clearly against your contract, and he left at the perfect opportunity. Honestly, I’d be saying thanks that he even decided to leave, considering Mr. Thompson would have kicked you out.”

I rolled my eyes, picking at the ice cream angry. “He wouldn’t,” I murmured, shaking my head. “But, I don’t know. I feel bad. I didn’t even get to say goodbye,” I pouted.

“Ivy…” Derek moaned. His brown eyes scanned over me, before closing. “That’s just it. I tried to tell you yesterday. You have to stop doing this.”

“Doing what exactly?”

He sighed, peering out the window and I looked out as well. “I mean, what I said last night. I can’t stand to see you like that, Ivy. With those animals. When you were on top of that dog and he was about to bite–”

“Oh my God!” I yelled, standing.

“What?” Derek raised his eyebrows, surprised.

I pointed out the window, where the large dog sniffed along the forest. “That’s him, I know it is!” I grabbed my bag then, rushing out of the store.

“Ivy!” Derek called behind me. I ran toward the dog, ignoring his calls.

“Hey!” I screamed and the dog’s head jerked in my direction. His blue eyes blinked and he took off for the forest. “Oh, no you don’t!”

I ran after him, stumbling over roots and branches that covered the dirt path. Derek’s yells were almost lost to the wind, howling against rustling trees.

I finally gave up catching the dog and instead catching my breath. Normally, I could keep up with any dog, I was in track and loved running, but something about this forest slowed me down.

“I’ll give you props,” a male voice called from the distance. “You don’t give up, do you?”

I slowly looked up and screamed.

A gorgeous, naked man stood in front of me, with an alluring smirk on his face.