Chapter Two - The Meeting

Sate drags me out of the plain, cement, jail-like building and into the blinding light of morning. It's about six-thirty, judging by the sun's position.

"This building over here is our blacksmith. He keeps our swords, maces, daggers, and other barbaric equipment ready for use incase someone declares war," Sate explains. "And right over there is-"

He stops dead in his tracks as a beautiful young woman with a great figure and similar clothing as me walks by, not before sparing Sate a kindly and most needed smile.

"That's Rayna," he says, almost as if he were in a trance or daydreaming about her.

"I see someone's got a crush," I taunt playfully.

"Well, she is my mate. She's just too young to know that yet. One more year though... Just one more year," he states, sounding very optimistic about it.

I really have absolutely no idea what he's talking about. What does he mean by mate? And how does he know she'll come around in a year and love him as much as he loves her? Today is a day of great confusion, apparently.

"So, love will take over you guys' friendly relationship in about a year, right?" I ask him.

"Yeah," he replies.

"How exactly do you know that?"

"Well, she's fifteen now. In another year, she'll be of age."

"What do you mean 'of age'?" I keep interrogating.

"Oh come on! Tell me you know what I'm talking about! For heaven's sake!" he begins to yell. "Coming of age is all that we dream of as a kid!"

"Why?"

"Uh... because that's when our first shift happens!"

"So you guys dream of your first job here until you are sixteen... How exactly does that tie up with the whole 'I love Rayna and she'll soon love me too' situation?"

"No, no, no...! You got it all wrong!" he pauses then mumbles something to himself that is just barely audible. "I don't think she knows who she is... That's very sad and depressing..."

"I am so confused..."

"Anyways, onward with the tour!"

"Okie dokey," I sigh from the fact of being so very confused.

We go on with the tour. I seem to not comprehend a single word he says because I've been trying to sort out my confusion. I seriously hate being confused.

Anyways, Sate said that we'd be heading over to see whoever this 'Alpha' dude is. I still think they sound like a gang.

We pass through some large gates and follow a road showing an elegant and pleasant scene on either side.

"We are almost there, Cane," Sate assures me.

I guess I had a look of some sort that would make him think I needed the assurance.

"Okay," I reply simply.

We continue to walk up the winding road with trees guarding my view of what is soon to come. I really wonder how rich this person is. As I continue to ponder how much everything around me might cost, I found myself counting objects of no value compared to the extravagant mansion lying before my eyes.

"Woah...!" I exclaim in absolute amazement. "This guy must be filthy rich to afford such a place."

A house like this?! That used to be something only of my dreams! This place is absolutely magnificent!

We arrive at the front steps and Sate whispers something to the guards. The guards have a look like thy are stunned or something... Hmm... Odd. They immediately let us in and are greeted with a vast amount of rick space. We can hear music not too far off from where we are standing. I start to head in that direction but Sate doesn't allow my curiosity to lead. He drags me down the halls, up the stairs, around the corners, and outside another guarded door.

"He is busy right now," states a forty year old female voice.

"Too busy to meet her?" Sate questions.

"Who is she anyways? Not from around here I see."

"Let's just say that her name is Cane War."

"Cane War?! You mean like THE Cane War?!"

"Do you think he has time for her?"

"One sec..."

She walks into the office and comes back out in a few seconds mid-sentence, "... love your surprise, Beta."

She turns to us and tells us to follow her in. She leads us into a small and cluttered work area with a guy sitting in the seat with his eyes covered.

He impatiently asks, "Can I look yet?"

"Yes you may," the female replies.

He turns to look at me and gasps, "It can't be...! My dear Cane War?! Is that you baby girl?!"

"Yes I'm Cane War, but who are you guys and how does everyone here seem to know me? It's as if I'm a celebrity," I beg for answers.

"You do not remember me? Well, it was when you were so small. I don't expect you to actually remember me. I'm Beta Jackson, your father."

"Beta? I'm once again for the millionth time today extremely confused... I'm too confused about my lack of understanding."

Everything is just getting weirder and weirder. When will the puzzle pieces fall into place and why does it have to be this confusing?

"I suspect your mother never told you anything about me...?" he asked almost like it was a statement. "So you know nothing of what you are?"

Sate clears his throat, as if to gain attention, and says, "Beta Jackson, sir, from what I can tell, she doesn't even know what happened to her in the woods."

"That's very saddening..."

"What are you all talking about?!" I yell in pure frustration and irritation.

"You will soon understand, my dear," Jackson tells me, trying to calm me down. "You will soon get answers."

"No!" I continue to scream. "I'm sick and tired of being confused! If you don't want me to walk away and never come then I demand to know what's going on!"

"You have your mother's witty Alpha Female determination and anger," Jackson smiles.

Just then, the door suddenly jerks open...!