Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I walked to school the next day with my 4 best friends, Julie, Loren, Katie, and Abby.

"Hey, Marissa," Abby said. "Did you talk to your dad about that girls team?" Being my best friends, they always listen to my problems, even if they don't fully understand. Abby and Loren play rec. hockey, but they'll never feel what I feel.

"Just stick to Organized if AAA causes this many issues," Loren said tiredly. I glared at her. Julie and Abby think she's jealous of how good I am at hockey and how I'm 5x better then her. It's possible. Recently it's seemed like she needs to be better then me in everything.

"No!" I replied fiercely to Loren. "I'm tired of organized. I want this AAA team. And I'll stop at nothing to get it." Loren rolled her eyes, then started talking about how she's going to a Winnipeg Jets game. She thinks she a hockey whiz. I think she's more of a jets nerd. Anger boiled up inside of me. Loren and I used to be best friends. But ever since Grade 6 she's changed. We don't connect like we used to. Now I feel like we are farther apart, and I hate watching Loren become a bully.

"You'll never understand, Loren," I said, tension building in the air. "If you loved something as much as I love hockey, you would let it drive you to be the best you could be. But you don't. And you might never find that passion." Loren stared at me with cold eyes.

"I love hockey," she hissed. "Go Jets!" I rolled my eyes.

"You love the hockey on the screen. I live and love the real thing. While your glued to a TV screen, I'm on the ice, doing what I love. Nothing can beat that." Loren opened her mouth, as if to speak, but Katie cut her off.

"Ok, so we're a little on the edge. Calm down! This will blow over soon," Katie said. I glared at Loren, then walked up beside Abby. If Loren didn't support my dreams, why should I support anything she does?

"I'm on your side," Abby whispered to me. I smiled. I knew she would always be there for me.

Loren? Not so sure.

But friendship doesn't make a hockey player. Skill and hope makes a hockey player. I had both. I had the skill from playing for 8 years, and the hope about playing AAA. I wouldn't give up. No matter who stood by me, I would make this team. Then Dad would really see I'm just as good as Riley. And I was ready to prove I was.