Part 2: Giratina's Game

(Alex POV)

I woke up in my bed, the memory of last night's dive still fresh in my mind. I made a mental note to remember all the details for today's meeting, I would need them if I wanted to get paid.

I live in a 4-room apartment: one for my room, the bathroom, the living room/kitchen, and the last for-

"Hurry up Alex! Elora's got to get her mullah!" Oh boy. That was my roommate Elora, or as I usually call her, Blue. When you're in a full-dive situation like with the Gengar, syllables become a problem. The extra few seconds it takes to call the attention of your partner could cost one or both of your lives, so professional divers like us use nicknames if a person's name is too hard to say quickly.

What is diving, you ask?

Well, a few years ago, a portal opened up, and Lord Giratina emerged from it. He chose a small group of people, us included, and said that he had a proposal for us. Each night, instead of a dream we would be sent into a short maze, one Pokemon being despatched as "motivation" to reach the exit quickly, not that he mentioned that part at first.

At the end of the night, if they hadn't made it to the exit or died within the maze, they would just wake up like normal, but if you made it out alive, Giratina himself would send out somebody to pay you, giving an extra bonus if you did something special while you were in there, such as picking up a souvenir or pretty much anything worth mentioning.

Apparently this was supposed to be some kind of test to see what we are capable of, but nobody really paid attention to that part. Anyways, Elora and I decided to give it a go, and we turned out to be one of the best teams out of the other "chosens".

We've made it out enough times for us to know exactly who would be coming to pay us, what place we would be paid at, and what time we needed to be there.

I quickly threw on a blue hoodie and ran out into the living room only to see that Elora had done the same.

"THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE." I said, unsheathing my knife.

"Yeah, so go change ya damn potato with legs." Damn. That sass tho.

I went back into my room and found a red hoodie and checked in the mirror to make sure it looked good.

I was about average height for a Cubone, but I had a few things that put me apart from the rest of my race. For instance, while normal Cubones had brown skin, mine was more of a midnight black, with crimson eyes. Also unlike the majority of them, I don't mourn over my mother's death. Although, that's probably because I never knew her, seeing as both me and Elora are orphans, having been found outside the orphanage as babies in the same month.

"Red looks better on me anyways...it always has..."