Chapter One

~Sing me to sleep, sing me to sleep

I'm tired and I, I want to go to bed~

"Opium Tanner!" Plutarch Hevenseby's voice announced over the speakers.

"No," I heard John whisper next to me.

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat and began to walk towards the stage.

A hand grabbed mine and I turned to see John. He hugged me tightly and I hugged him even tighter. I didn't want to let go, I didn't want to be a tribute or a victor.

"I love you," He whispered so close to my ear.

"I love you too."

We let go and I forced myself to keep walking as I passed my friends their hands brushed me in signs of support. Their faces were grim, some were holding back tears but I must not cry.

I climbed the stairs and made my way to Plutarch who looked confused as he shook my hand.  Most people look confused at the sight of me.

I looked out to my friends noticing how strange we looked next to the brightly coloured Capitol Pedigrees. We dressed in darker colours, I usually chose black. There was only one part of me that match the Capitols colourful standards and that was my hair.

It was the 76th Annual Hunger Games and I had just been reaped by the Rebels I fought to protect not too long ago. People assumed after Katniss killed Coin it would be forgotten but evidently not.

The twenty two before me had all been clung to by their crying parents and they all looked so terrified standing behind me, most bawling a few even whaling but no tears stained my eyes. No parents cried after me. Even if my parents were still alive they wouldn't be sobbing over me but the outfit all of their bitchy friends would be seeing me in.

"Anything you'd like to say?"

"Yeah, I'll see you all again," I wasn't talking to anyone but the six survivors of the Outcasts, my friends. "And if not at least I'll be with the others"

I turned and joined the other tributes. Among those I recognised were one of my class mates, a neighbour of Mat's and President Snow's grand-daughter. Her reaping was obviously rigged, I had no moral disagreement with it she had grown up in the luxury paid for by these people's suffering.

I could see her watching me, Katniss Everdeen sat with the other surviving Victors. I wondered whether we would have mentors.

This shouldn't be too hard right? Most of these kids don't stand a chance.

"Carlton Windas."

Shit!

"This is for my sister Grace" his voice echoed around me before he turned taking a knife from his pocket and running towards me.

He went to stab me but I moved so he only cut my side. It hurt like hell but it wouldn't kill me.

"How many times Nathan I didn't kill her! She was my best friend!" I shouted.

He thrust the knife at me again but this time a Rebel Soldier grabbed his arm forcing the knife out of Nathan's hand. Another grabbed him.

"Murderer!" he spat as they dragged him away.

I lifted my top slightly to see the cut. It wasn't too deep but it was bleeding heavily. I put pressure on it.

"Come with me," A woman said I turned to see an older woman with blonde hair and blue eyes dressed in a grey uniform she placed a pale hand on my arm as she walked me off of the stage.