Strangers

~~~~                                

"Uncle Pete! Can we go more school shopping? Please ?" Aaliyah askes racing downstairs to catch him drinking coffee and reading the newspaper with his glasses facing down.

"Maybe Sweetheart, how about we have breakfast real fast and then go okay?" He asks, and she nods with a smile.

She admits it, She's afraid. That may be any minute now she'll wake up and notice that everything she just went through in the last 24 hours was just some fairy tale. She's afraid that social services may take her away from her uncle. The only reason she believes that she survived that long with her mother being a prostitute and all is that she thought that one day it would have all been better, but not without her Uncle.

Aaliyah doesn't want to live with her mom, not anymore. Now that she knows another relative can be looking out for her for one more year, she wants to stay.

''Oh and Aaliyah you'll be starting at---'' Peter stopped when he noticed a full purple mark on her cheek that formed into a small circle and he has a shocked face. Never in his life had he thought that his sister would be violate with her daughter. But that didn't matter anymore.

Peter didn't need to say anything. Aaliyah didn't have to do anything. Peter just wrapped his skin toned, tattooed, muscular arms around her and caressed her hair. He always wanted a daughter. Someone to take a look out for. Someone to look after. Someone to love and nurture. Even though it's late, he wants Aaliyah with him.

Most of all, He knows he'll do everything in his power to keep Aaliyah with him.

~

"Here," Uncle Pete said handing me a scientific calculator. We are currently in Walmart and uncle Pete wants me to do my best this year. I told him I was thinking about nursing for my future. I love the way newborns are.

The way they first cry and the hope they give you. When I looked at a newborn once it seemed like everything else was at a distance. Like looking at a new baby gave you a new sense of hope and your wondering what they might be in the future and trying to guess made you even more curious.

That's how I want to feel like everything's going to be okay and I want to be able to nurture a new baby, so it's ready to go home. I smiled at the thought of that.

"Hello, earth to Aaliyah?"

"What? Sorry Pete" I said while pushing the cart. "It's okay kiddo, You alright?" He asked. Pete gently placed his soft lips on my forehead, reassuring me that everything will be okay. I nodded at his question and smiled. I went by myself to find more binders. I hope I won't have a hard semester. I've thought about it and if Uncle Pete knew how his sister treated me, how come he wasn't surprised?

Has she done this before?

I was lost in thought when I pulled out a single binder, the whole stack of them came falling on me. Ugh, one thing I hate about school shopping last minute is that everyone rushes around and no one bothers to look at who their shoving or pushing. ''Ow'' I said moving all the books off of me. I look up and see who pushed me.

It was a guy who wore a thick black sweater and a cap to hide most of his face, with his hands in his pocket and him looking down on me. His eyes are beautiful.

''Sorry Kid, where your parents at'' He said trying to help me up. A kid? A fucking kid?

''Excuse me mister, but I am not a child I'm 17 geez, get it straight old man'' I yelled at him. I'm pissed. I don't have any parent's anymore but he has no right to call me a kid. Ugh. Instead of yelling back at me, he stared at me while I kept my arms crossed and looking mad at him.