Chapter 29: Secret's Out

Time skip. Three months later.

Mitch's P.O.V.

"You did great today," Scott complimented softly from the drivers seat.

"I didn't do anything Scott."

"Yeah, but you tried. That's all that matters."

I sighed. "But I can't do anything! I haven't been able to do anything for the past few months of physical therapy! You have no idea how frustrating it is to just lose control of half of your body!"

"I'm sorry Mitchie. I'm really trying to help you but...it's obviously not working."

I put a hand on his arm. "No! It's not your fault! I'm sorry I'm being so bitter. I really appreciate how supportive you're being."

He smiled, but didn't say anything. When we pulled up in front of Kirstie's house, he started to get out to get my wheelchair, but I stopped him.

"What are you-"

I leaned in and pressed my lips against his, surprising him. He pulled away, a questioning expression on his face.

"I thought you weren't ready."

"Scott, I've known you my whole life. You've stayed by my side through all this, and I know that you would never do anything to hurt me."

He brought his hand up to my face and traced my jawline, then stopped with his thumb on my lips.

"I love you Mitchell Coby Michael Grassi. With all of my heart."

"I love you too. But can we kiss some more? I sort of like that part."

He grinned, pulling me closer.

"Lucky for you, I do too."

Kirstie's P.O.V.

It's getting easier now. To hide the fact that I'm not eating anymore. It's actually not that hard. Mitch is mostly concerned with trying to walk again, and Avi's like a puppy. Easy to distract.

I looked in the mirror at myself, still not happy with the girl that was staring back at me. I had lost a lot of weight. Fifty pounds to be exact. But there was still a roundness to my body that I didn't like.

I could definitely see a change. My cheekbones were sharper, which made my whole face look thinner. I pulled off my shirt and looked at my midsection.

There was a bump where my stomach was that I just couldn't lose, which is the main thing that kept me from eating. But I could see my ribs, which was oddly satisfying. Everything about my thinner self made me feel more attractive in a way.

But my stomach made me feel unbelievably fat. Just looking at it made me feel nauseous, even though there was nothing in it. I fell to my knees in front of the toilet and vomited up the liquid that I'd had today, but after that was all gone, my body just went through the motions.

"Kirstie!"

I turned to see Avi standing in the doorway to the bathroom.

"What's wrong? Are you sick?"

I shook my head, my body shaking violently from hunger.

"I-I wanted...t-t-to be p-per-perfect for y-y-you."

His jaw dropped open and he rushed forward to scoop me up off of the floor.

"S-stop! Y-y-you can't c-carry m-m-me! I'm t-too h-he-heavy!"

"Kirstie you weigh about a pound! Is that what this is about?"

I shrugged as he set me down on my bed. He put his hands on his hips.

"How long has this been going on?" He asked sadly.

His upset tone made me feel guilty. "A m-month. M-maybe two...o-o-or three...?"

He shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose. "What did you do with all of the stuff everyone got you after you got out of the hospital? And the chocolate for our anniversary?"

I got up slowly and almost fell over, but Avi caught me, shooting me an uneasy look as I steadied myself. I guiltily opened the drawer to my nightstand and stood back as Avi took a closer look. He put a hand over his gaping mouth, and tears shone in his eyes.

The drawer was full to the brim with candy, cookies, and the box of chocolates Avi had given me last month.

"Kirstie...how could you ever..."

"I...you're s-so amazing and...I c-c-could never deserve you l-looking like I u-used to."

He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pulled me into his chest.

"Baby, you will always look like a superstar to me. But this...this isn't you. Please eat. I can't stand to see you hurting like this. You're amazing just the way you are. You're everything I deserve and more."

I nodded and reached for something in the drawer, my hand hovering over the plastic wrapped treats.

"Avi, I-I don't know if I c-can do t-th-this..."

He rubbed my shoulders. "Come one Kirstie. I believe in you."

I finally picked a silver wrapped bar of chocolate, staring at it held in my shaky hands. Avi's strong hands came around my shoulders and overlapped mine, pulling open the wrapper with ease.

"You can do it baby," he whispered in my ear. His strong voice gave me confidence to break off a piece and slowly put it in my mouth.

I let the sweet chocolate melt across my tongue. Even though it tasted so good, my reflex was to spit it out and get rid of it.

I guess Avi realized that, because his arms locked around my waist, his lips trailing featherlike kisses across the back of my neck.

"Please, don't spit it out. Eat some more. I want you to be healthy."

I ate another piece of chocolate, trying to ignore my gags. With Avi's prompting, I finished half of the chocolate bar, squinting my eyes shut as I handed the rest of it to Avi.

"I-I'm sorry. I can't eat anymore of it."

He put it back in the drawer and shut it, then his hands softly caressed my face.

"Its alright baby. You did amazing. Promise me that you'll keep trying? For me?"

I nodded, then stood on my tiptoes to kiss him.

"I promise."