Everlasting

I layed on the squished bunk and closed my eyes. "Mila....Mila....help...your...poor...mother...Mila." I heard my mother groaning. I didn't want to open my eyes. My body was rigid and stiff from all the work they made me do. What if I went to the gas chambers? Would I not be seeing all the suffering that surrounds this horrid place? I could hear souls trapped in this wretched place. I sighed. "Mother?" I asked, turning over. She was breathing heavily with her hands on her chest, crying silently. My eyes welled up as I got down from the bunk. I limped towards mother and squeezed past the swarm of people blocking me. I sat beside my mother and caressed her limp hair. "It's okay, Mother. They're going to get us soon. They will rescue us soon." The room suddenly quieted down. They all stared at me with pity in their eyes. I looked away. Mother began shaking her head. "How do you still have hope, dear?" She asked sadly. "Our beautiful family...gone!!" Mother screamed, pounding her chest. Rage began creeping up at me. I hate them. Every single one of them. Why did the Nazis take my family away from me? I didn't want to know where my infant brother Eli was. The last time I saw him was when the Angel of Death separated us from him. I remembered him holding my little brother with his filthy hands . I was naive to ask him where he was going to take my brother. "Somewhere safe. Don't you worry child. He will be treated well." Doctor Mengele crackled and pushed me aside. "Take this stupid Jew and her mother to the bunks. Make sure to give no mercy to them." I rubbed the lump on my head where an S.S. officer had butt me with his rifle that day. The silent moon shone through a jagged crack on our bunk. Where are you Christoph? I thought.