One

Tick tock. Tick tock.I gripped my pencil and began to scribble in some notes as I peered at the chalkboard. Mrs. Stein tapped her ruler on her desk. "Times up, children." She said in a stern voice. Suddenly the school bell rang signaling that school was over. A flood of students raced through the hall and swarmed the main door. I clutched my bookbag tightly and looked around for Christoph. I turned around and saw a tiny figure racing towards me. A slow smile creeped on my lips. Oh Christoph, I thought. Late as always. Trying to catch his breath, he collapsed and began panting for air. I placed my hands on my hips. "Where were you, hotshot?" I asked curiously. His chestnut hair flopped onto his face. He looked away, blushing slightly. "Somewhere...besides it's none of your business." I waited for an answer. "Okay fine, I was just talking to my girlfriend, Kristin." My heart dropped. "Oh," I began, trying to not hide my disappointment. " What about Alena? You already broke up with her?" He nodded slightly and tucked a lock of his hair behind his ear lazily. "Playboy." I said under my breath. He jumped and leaped on me. "What'd you say?" He laughed as we rolled around in the grass. I tackled him down and pinned him to the ground. "I said that you're such a playboy." I grinned in triumph. We rolled around on the ground laughing our heads off. "There you are, Christoph!" I heard a soft voice call out. I glanced up to see a tall, pale brunette with silky smooth skin walk up to Christoph. She glared at me as Christoph got up and smoothed out his clothes. "Who is she?" the brunette asked hotly. "She's...um my friend Mila. Mila, this is Kristin." "Cool." Kristin replied casually, flipping her hair and turning away from me. She took Christoph's hand and kissed him gently on his cheek. "Can we go now?" Kristin pouted, jutting her rosy pink lip out. He nodded and mouthed a goodbye. I stood there in pure jealousy as they walked up the hill. Christoph glanced back at me in pure desperation. I looked away quietly and walked on home.

Shuffling home, I walked around a corner and fingered my stringy hair. Why would he even go out with me? He will never notice me, I thought. I stopped. What was I thinking?! Christoph was my friend. Not a stupid crush...Did I really have feelings for Christoph? A shrill scream interrupted my thoughts. I looked across the corner as I heard glass shatter.

I turned around to find Auntie Adara across the street curled in to a ball, sobbing. There was millions of pieces of glass surrounding her. In her bakery, all the shelves that used to carry her pastries were gone. I quickly went to her side and prompted her up. Auntie glanced up with tears rolling down her pale face. "What happened, Auntie?" I asked her quietly, sitting beside her. She looked quickly from side to side. "The Nazis," Auntie started, her eyes wide with fear. "They came...and took everything that belonged to me..." Auntie wrapped a scarf around her and squeezed it tightly around her frail body. I watched her silently. I had heard about the Nazis from my neighbors. The fear in their voices every time they mentioned that name scared me. I had heard rumors of them destroying a Jewish community out in the far ends of Berlin. I looked around at the rummage that the Nazis caused in Auntie's bakery. Would they strike in our store next? I wondered. I held Auntie's small hand as we walked through the dim street together.