Chapter Seven

Grass beneath my feet, purple planet above my head, not a character in sight. I skid to a stop, breathing hard from excitement. I never thought I'd be so happy to see this place again. Somnia. Maybe one day I'll learn to call it home.

Quick movement on the ground catches my eye. The little red creature—the squirrel thing that crawled all over J2—scurries over to greet me. I crouch down and hold out my hand. It hops right on my arm and crawls up to my shoulder.

"You're a friendly guy, aren't you?" I say, chuckling when its whiskers brush against my cheek.

"Girl actually," the squirrel says. I pull back, startled.

"You can talk?" I sputter. The squirrel just blinks at me and twitches his—her—fluffy tail. I make a face and set the squirrel back down on the grass. The thing runs off without a goodbye.

"Wiles!" The voice comes from directly behind me. I jump hard, but I don't have to turn to see who it is.

"I've been looking all over for you!" Jesse says, skipping into my line of vision.

"I was in Shep's basement for who knows how long," I say.

"Sorry. I had to dump my evil twin in some random story first."

Oh, right. I had forgotten about J2.

"Which story?"

"I dunno." Jesse glances back at the village. "So....now what are you going to do?"

"Where's Destiny? Did she find you?"

He looks confused. "Who's Destiny?"

So she didn't find him after all.

"The girl Shep hides in his basement. I sent her to find you."

Jesse shrugs. "Destiny isn't here."

I've figured that much out.

I start walking. Maybe I'll run into her.

"Hey, man, hold up," Jesse says, putting a hand on my shoulder to stop me. "What did this Destiny person look like?"

"Uh... medium length red hair. Average height. Pretty smile." I shrug, not sure how else to describe her.

Jesse presses his lips together and exhales. "I think an Author took her."

It's hard to explain the feeling that washes over me at these words. I'm angry, jealous even. She already has a story—even if it is abandoned. And that story is with me.

"Can you take me there?" I ask. Jesse rubs the back of his neck and gives a sort of nervous chuckle. He won't look me in the eyes again.

"Jesse, what's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," he says, though hesitant. "But Destiny's story will be young and very much alive. It might not even have a defined world yet. Going there is a really bad idea."

"Why?"

Jesse finally meets my gaze. "Because you'll get written in! Young stories are always hungry for new material, and now that you've been abandoned that's exactly what you are. If you go in there you're not coming back out unless the Author rejects you."

"It's happened before," I snap. I clench my jaw and turn away. Forget it. If Destiny really has found her story, taking her from it will only be cruel. I'm not that selfish.

"Speaking of stories," Jesse begins. "Where did Shep send you?" He gestures at the Gate. I groan and something in me snaps.

"Just shut up! I'm sick of stories and characters and plots. Why can't I just be a real person? I'm not a puppet. And this whole thing with Shep. It's stupid. Completely stupid. I can write. So what? I haven't caused a single problem. Not one! It only turned sour when Shep showed up and decided to freak out. Take me home. Right now!"