Ch. 3: Are You Afraid?

Joker and I had been laying in bed together for several hours, talking and getting to know each other a whole lot better.

Underneath that mask of crazy stood a broken man. And I was determined to help him.

"Hey Jack?.." I rested my hand on his tattooed chest, looking up and into his dark eyes.

"Yes Rose?.." He smiled softly for once, staring right back into my eyes.

"How did you get those scars?.." I said softly, not wanting to anger him.

"Well.. It's not the usual story I tell everyone." Jack averted his eyes away and at the ceiling fan.

"You can tell me Jack.. If it makes you feel any better.. I-I have scars too..." I whispered the last part softly, but loud enough to be heard.

"You do?.. I swear I will kill that person who inflicted those upon you. A beautiful girl like you doesn't deserve scars.." His gaze lowered and fixed onto my eyes once again.

"I inflicted them on myself.." I looked away, ashamed of what I used to do.

"But why Rose?.. Why would you ever want to create your own wounds?.." Jack's large, tattooed hands grabbed my face softly; making me stare into his eyes.

"I-I was depressed.. They diagnosed me with b-bipolar depression at 16.. I would get so angry and upset, I wanted to take it out on someone.. But I knew I had no one left to blame except myself.." Hot, damp tears began to roll down my cheeks; causing me to bury my face into Jack's neck.

"My father was a drinker and a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not. One. Bit. So - me watching - he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it! Turns to me, and he says, 'Why so serious, son?' Comes at me with the knife... 'Why so serious?' He sticks the blade in my mouth... 'Let's put a smile on that face!' Ripped my face wide open.. So I was always smiling.." He had tears forming in his eyes, and he ran his hand up and down my back in a comforting manner.

"How could someone be so.. Cruel?.." I felt my heart break in my own chest for him.

"I don't know Rose. But now you know why I am the hideous man you see today." Jack looked away, staring blankly at the wall.

"You're not hideous Jack. You're anything but hideous. My story might not be as bad as yours, but I know how it feels to be the outcast. The one everyone rejected because we were never good enough for society's bullshit standards." I frowned, leaning up and kissing one side of his scars.

It didn't bother me. I had scars too, maybe not as deep but they were still scars. We both had troubled pasts.. Maybe that's why I feel such a strong connection.

I felt his head turn back towards me, and I looked up at Jack, searching for something- anything in his eyes. And I was surprised by what happened next.

He crashed his lips onto mine, kissing me rather passionately.

I of course responded back after a second or two, shocked at first.

Jack pulled me into his lap, and let my fingers tangle in his bright green hair. After a few minutes of intense kissing he pulled away, staring into my eyes as he caught his breath,

"Why aren't you afraid?.. Everyone I've ever taken has hated me or was terrified of my scars and my actions. But you, you can actually look me in the eyes..."

My breathing was ragged was I sucked air into my lungs before I replied,

"I understand your pain Jack.. I understand why you feel this way.."