Preface-Joe

Preface- Joe

He had it coming. He had it coming. He only had himself to blame. If you had been there, if you had seen it, I bet you would've done the same.

Twelve dancers clad in black leotards and fishnet tights rolled their heads to the beat, pressing against the false prison bars on the stage. Their rendition of Chicago was quite the crowd pleaser.

The theatre was only half full, not much more was expected for a college production. In the back seats, where dust still clung to the upholstery, sat Joe- all alone in the darkness. His prominent grey eyes shone in the flickering ray of the stage lights. Those eyes saw everything.

While everyone else concentrated on the general production, Joe looked at the finer, unnoticed details. The tear of a fishnet, the strand of hair falling out of his sister's up-do when she swung her head and the white gap left on the painted scenery. Small details that no one else notices or even cares about but Joe can't help but search for them. But the most intriguing detail to the whole production seemed to be the girl in the lighting box behind him.

Although 'concealed' in black clothing, her auburn hair couldn't help but catch his eye. She looked timid to him, clearly afraid of any attention. He glanced at her from time to time during the performance- truthfully it was a struggle for him to tear his eyes away.

He tried to take as much detail as he possibly could, so if he were to see her again he'd know exactly who it was: Her cat-like green eyes; her pale, freckled face and of course, those fiery locks which he already adored.

The mysterious girl clouded his thoughts for the rest of the night, but he didn't fail to pick up a programme at the end of the show. There was her name in Times New Roman bold. Autumn.

It suited her, he thought. Autumn is a beautiful season after all.

--

Authors Note:

Hi, everyone! This is an updated version of Autumn! Written differently but the story will remain the same. I hope you guys like it and thank you to those who are still here and reading what I write.

Mia xo

Dedicated to @cavesecho, a friend I've had for years and one who's always stuck by me regardless of our ups and downs. xo