Chapter 8

*** WOOT, this chapter is a little longer and I hope you like it. I think you will. Let me know! ***

IrishEyez

Chapter 8

May came up and woke me up about an hour later and told me to get ready. Her bossiness was going to get old very quickly and I honestly hoped that she would change her tune soon.

I got cleaned up and put on my favorite dress that I have never worn. This dress was picked out for me by my father and I knew he would be happy to know I was finally wearing it.

The commotion going on downstairs peaked my interest so I headed down. I was determined to not let what happened with Bill ruin the activities of the day. Aunt Betty was going to try and find me a husband, but I would just have to thwart her attempts.

The scene before me as I got to the bottom of the stairs made me laugh. Juanita was carrying a tray of food out the front door as Nick and Danny tried stealing samples from it.

"Váyanse ustedes, pequeños demonios!" She snapped out at them. (“Go away you little devils!”)

"¿Te gustaría un poco de ayuda tener todo listo?" I asked her, which caused my cousin’s to stop and look at me. (“Would you like some help getting everything ready?”)

"No cariño, es todo arreglado." Juanita answered as she snuck past them. (“No Darling, it is all taken care of.”)

I heard May saying something in the kitchen so I made my way towards her.

“I don’t get it mom, you are doing all of this to get her married, why can’t you just kick her out or make her go back to New York?” May asked her mother as they arranged sandwiches on a tray, not realizing that I was standing in the doorway.

“The sooner she is married off, the sooner she is out of our hair. For my brother to ask us to care for her when she is a grown woman was ridiculous. Hopefully someone here tonight takes me up on the offer at hand.”

I had heard enough and decided to leave the house for a while. I needed to clear my head, but I was not ready to go back to the pond. So I went to the barn instead. The only horses I was able to be near were Hope and her filly so I walked up to their stall and saw Carter there.

Looking around to make sure there was no one around, I walked up behind him and covered his eyes with my hands. “Guess who?” I said with a hint of laughter.

He laughed back. “Hmmm, let me think, May?”

“Oh come on.”

“Then it must be George.” I snickered at the thought of the old grumpy ranch hand ever doing anything like this to anyone.

“You get one more guess Carter.”

He reached behind his back and mine and pulled me closer to him. “It couldn’t possibly be the sleeping angel I left not too long ago.”

I let my hands drop and he shifted so he was now facing me. His jaw dropped when he looked at me. “That is a beautiful dress Lilly, I quite like it.” He gave me a peck of a kiss on the lips after looking up and down the aisle of the barn for any onlookers.

“Why thank you, this is actually the first time I’ve worn it. I’m glad you like it.”

“Very much so, but I don’t know if I’m going to like others seeing you in it.” He remarked with a smirk on his full beautiful lips.

I took a step back from him. “Why if I didn’t know any better Mr. Woods, I would say that you are jealous.”

“Never Miss Lilly, that word is not in my vocabulary.”