Exanimi's Virus

The girl pressed her back against the brick wall, sweat beading down her forehead as the sun’s rays beat down onto the particularly hot summer day. Her breathing was labored, catching at the back of her throat as her hands wandered along the surface of the new obstacle behind her. She was trapped. Her stomach formed into a knot.

“No… No fucking way..”

Blank lifeless voids met the horror struck gaze of the young woman. This was it. Everything she had worked for, all the nights she had spent awake… all gone to waste. She would die at this very spot and there was nothing she could do to stop it. This was her now evident fate.

Her executioner staggered forward, closing in the space to an uncomfortable distance. The smell of rotting flesh surrounded the blonde, the same nausea washing over her just like the first time. Any second now the once living thing would pounce onto her, just like it did to all its previous victims. And then she would become one of them.

The once male let out a hoarse groan from what was left of its throat, limping even closer than before. Its jaw hung from a few tendons, swaying suspended in the air. The right side of his face had mostly decomposed, revealing most of the ivory bones that formed the things skull. The ribcage suffered the same conditions,exposing what little ribs were left. An ancient…

The girls eyes closed softly, her face showing a little less fear then before. What was there to fear anymore? She let a stray tear escape, her chest rising and lowering at a more steady pace than before. What reason was there for spilled tears in this new world? It was alright now, she had come to terms with death. What could possibly be the difference anyways? Wasn’t she already leaving in a hell like place? With all the living dead surrounding her, it now seemed odd to her that she hadn’t come to an understanding with death until this very moment. Or maybe she just didn’t realize that she had.

Oh well, all that was irrelevant now, because Death finally made his move, and he did a quick job of finishing her off.