Chapter Six

It was still pitch black outside when I woke up, but it wouldn't be for long. I rolled out of bed and changed into shorts, a white t-shirt, a hoodie and a baseball cap. Then I finished getting ready to go fishing for the day.

It was 5:30 AM when I went downstairs and Tyler was still asleep on the couch. I walked into the kitchen and poured two glasses of water then I walked back into the living room where Tyler was sleeping. I stood behind the couch, the  dumped one of the glasses over his head and leapt back. "What the fuck?" Tyler spluttered, wiping water of his eyes.

"Oh, good, you're awake," I said nonchalantly, hiding the empty glass behind my back and taking a sip out of mine.

He sat up and glared at me, "What time is it?"

"Just after 5:30. What happened to your alarm?"

"I set it for 5:45."

"Then we would've been late," I informed him.

"You said the bait shop opened at six!"

"It does, and we have to get there soon after it opens or we'll miss the Early Bird Special," I explained.

"You're joking," He said and I shook my head. "You buy bait from a place that makes puns like that?" He rolled his eyes, disgusted.

"Yes, I do. Now get up and get changed so we can go."

"Fine," he stripped out of his wet shirt and I turned quickly so I wouldn't stare.

"I'll be in the garage, it's just through the kitchen. Come find me when you're done," I called.

I loaded up the truck with the fishing gear and hopped in the cab to wait for Tyler; he climbed in a few minutes later and we set off. We hadn't even been driving for five minutes when he started complaining, "Aren't we going to stop and get breakfast?"

"What did you think the Early Bird Special was?"

"Worms," he answered bluntly.

"Nope, breakfast," I said, keeping my eyes on the road. He muttered something and then started humming. "I'm going to have to duct tape your mouth shut if you keep making noise; the fish don't bite for loudmouths," I teased.

"Is that a challenge?" His eyes widened and he sat up.

"Right, because you're going to catch more fish than I am," I scoffed.

"I'm pretty good," he stretched and relaxed back into the seat.

"Yeah, but I grew up doing this," I retorted.

"Mmm, I guess we'll just have to wait and see, won't we, darlin'?"

"You're on, Seguin."

After picking up food for us and for the fish at the bait depot, Tyler and I drove to a spot on the river I knew that was a ways out of town where it was quieter. We hopped out and I grabbed lawn chairs from the truck bed and set them up, then handed Tyler a fishing pole and we set to work. I cast my line out into the river and watched the bobber float along.

"Aren't you going to have breakfast?" Tyler asked, munching on one of the power bars we had picked up.

"Not hungry," I whisper yelled back so as not to disturb the fish. The sun was just coming up in the east and the air was already heating up. Tyler came to stand next to me and nudged my arm with another granola bar. I shook my head.

"You know, it's much healthier to eat within an hour of waking up, darlin'..."

"You know, it's much easier to catch the fish when you're quiet," I shot back.