1) Cuts and Stitches

Isaac Lahey

I hurriedly take my bike from the rack, in a hurry to leave the school, to get away from the stares and the yelling. I would say to get away from the fists but going back home... There is worse. "Hey Lahey!" I hear a loud voice yell "Leave me alone!" I shout back, not bothering to even look up, I take a deep breath, feeling the flower crown sitting snug on top of my head and instantly I felt safer. "Lahey!" The voice says again and I feel a hand push me backwards just as I finally get my bike out of the lock. I take another deep breath and look down at the jock, yes, look down.

Jackson stares up at me, though he was taller than me he showed no fear, knowing I wouldn't fight back, knowing I'm afraid of him. "Is that a new flower crown Isaac?" He says, his voice sickening, I flicker my eyes to his and then back down quickly "It is isn't it?" He fakes a gasp and takes it from my head "Hey!" I say, widening my eyes and swiping my hand out to try and get it but he holds it away "Nuh uh" He says, shaking his head then he looks back down at my flower crown in his hand "I never saw you wear this mixture of colors before" He says, smirking. "Oh, I never knew you paid attention to what I wear everyday" I say sarcastically, He growls and I flinch "I'm sorry, I had to" I whisper, I hear a ruffling and I look up to see my flower crown, broken and crumbled in his hands, He lets it fall to the ground, stomping on it while I watch in horror, He smirks and looks up once his job is done "Whoops" He smirks and shoves past me, I whimper down in my throat, picking up the remains of my beautiful flower crown, A shiver runs up my spine at the feeling of not having a flower crown on my head, It makes me feel naked and I don't like it.

"Jackson! Stop bullying the poor kid!" I hear a voice say and a pair of shoes come into my view, I snap my head up to see Scott McCall, one of the few people who actually gave a crap about me. "I-It's fine" I say, standing back up to my full height, "Are you sure?" Scott asks, I nod quickly "It's just a flower crown, I can make more" I say even though without it, I feel quite... Empty.

"You heading home Isaac?" Scott asks, I smile, Scott has always been so friendly to me, ever since we were in grade school. "No, I'm going to the park to make a new flower crown first" I say and he nods "Oh, Okay. Be Careful" He smiles and nods and walks past me and towards his sarcastic friend Stiles Stilinski.

I smile at the back of Scott's head before turning back to my bike, pocketing the broken flower crown and hurriedly biking towards the park that my mother and I used to talk in, We always talked, back when my father wasn't... Abusive.

"Get in the damn box Isaac!" I hear my father yell, I cower against the wall, trying to get as far away from him as possible, "No please!" I wailed as his footsteps echoed closer "Isaac! NOW!" He yells, his hand closing in on my face "No stop! I don't want!"I yell as his hand wraps around my hair, forcing me up painfully, He slaps me and the painful sting makes me cry out, tears running down my face "I said get in the damn box Isaac! Do you want me to say it again!?" He yells into my ear as he continues hitting my face, stomach, legs and arms. My body is shaking from my sobs "Pl-please no! No!" I wail, He let's out a sadistic laugh as he throws me in the freezer, I let out a yelp as I land painfully on my shoulder "Three hours for lying, 2 hours for not listening and 2 hours for saying no" He smirks before he smashes the lid down and I hear the lock click, I want to vomit. I want out, I don't want to be here.

"No!" I scream, banging my fist on the lid of the freezer, "Let me out! Let me out!!" I shriek, trying to kick, punch or scream my way out, I feel the panic of being in a tight space, I feel the walls getting closer and closer, threatening to squish me. "Please let me out" I sob, trying to curl in on myself, I find it hard to breath even with the holes poked into the freezer, "I can't- I- I can't-" I heaved, trying to control my breathing. "I can't do this, I'm sorry! I want out!" I sob "I'M SORRY!!" I scream.

I gasp and quickly stop biking as I arrive, My breathing is ragged and my palms are sweaty, I hurriedly get of my bike, not caring that it falls but I hurry to the field of flowers that I go to every single day, before and after school. I sit in the middle of the field, picking white and green flowers, loving how peaceful it feels, something I rarely feel. I take a deep breath and hold it in for three seconds before exhaling it out shakily, My fingers are shaking as I connect the flowers together.

"Mommy what's that?" I ask in confusion as I watch her make a kind of giant ring with flowers "It's a flower crown honey" She says smiling kindly, I giggle "A crown out of flowers? Why?!" I say, finding it amusing that someone would wear a crown of something that could easily die. "Well It protects you" She says "It protects you from bad thoughts, It protects you when you cry and It will mean that I'm always with you" She whispers as she finishes the flower crown, she puts it on top of my hair and she smiles, "Do you like it?" She asks, I smile as it fits perfectly on my head "What color is it mommy?" I ask and she smiles "Green and White" She answers "Green is my favorite color!" I say, my eyes bright and she chuckles "Yes and White is mine" She says "I will wear this forever and ever!" I say happily looking up at her, She has this sad look in her eye that I didn't notice until she died. "You can make other flower crowns, but if anybody ever breaks any of it, always make a new one that is colored Green and White, that way you will always remember me" She whispers, kissing my head, I giggle and snuggle into her safe embrace "What are you talking about mommy?" I say "You will always be with me" I remember saying and falling asleep in her arms.

She knew. She knew she was going to die. I grit my teeth as I continue making the flower crown, my hands shaking. "I miss you mom" I whisper, tears burning in the back of my eyes, I connect the flower crown and put the finish product on my head, Instantly feeling safer and more confident.

"That's adorable" I hear a voice say and I jump up into my feet to see a guy with black hair and a bit of facial hair. I say nothing and just stare at him, my hands in my pockets. "I'm sorry, I'm Derek Hale" He says, his voice both scary and kind. "Isaac Lahey" I say with a nod, my voice not very inviting. He grins and I don't know if that makes me feel safer or more attacked . "Yes, I know" He says and yep, definitely more attacked. "What do you want?" I ask and He walks closer until he is no more but 5 feet away from me, "Are you sure you want to speak to me like that Isaac?" He asks, his voice dangerously calm. I flinch and tense "Sorry sir" I mutter, my heart hammering against my chest "Hey, I'm not going to hurt you, I just want to ask you some questions" He says "Okay" I reply and look up, not trusting him that much.

"Does your father hit you, Isaac?" He asks and instantly I am tense, my lips part in surprise. "I don't- I can't-" I stammer, I can't tell anyone, My father said that, He'll hurt me more, He'll lock me up for ten hours. "Isaac" Derek Hale says, sensing my hesitance "I'm doing this so I can stop it okay?" He says and I gulp, How do I know it's not a trap? How do I know my father didn't hire him to see if I would tell anyone. "No" I lie, immediately feeling bad about it and lowering my head "Are you lying to me Isaac?" He says, and the way he words his sentences make me scared, it was the exact way my father would say it. "No" I lie quietly "I think you are" He says and takes another step closer, I flinch and take a deep breath, fear and nervousness making my hands shake. "Does your father hit you Isaac?" He asks again "I need you to trust me" He adds in quickly and I look up "He... He does" I say and a tear escapes my left eye as I said that sentence, I take a deep breath, feeling the flower crown on my head. I take a deep breath, and straighten my back, feeling like the flower crown was speaking to me.

"You can trust Derek Hale" It says

Derek smiles "Thank you Isaac, now go home. It's past six" He says, I look down at my watch and widen my eyes as I see it's ten past six, my dad is going to beat me for sure, I sigh and nod and as I walk towards my bike I hear Derek call out "Nice flower crown!"

I pull my bike up and start biking home, towards the man I call my father.