Chapter 4: Corrupting Influence

The rules of society are not set down in sand or rock, but in the minds of everyone watching.

—Melanin Som, Sunlight Dances (Act 2, Scene 2)

Rutejìmo and Hyonèku chased Shimusògo across the desert, racing after the bird they could never catch. The dépa's magic solidified the shifting sand and their bare feet slapped against rock no matter what terrain they crossed. As soon as their feet picked up, the rock crumbled into a dust plume that stretched far behind them.

Home was only a mile away. Rutejìmo could see the two pillars with massive banners hanging from each one. In the middle, he spotted flashes of oranges, reds, and yellows. He didn't know why there were so many of the residents of the valley outside of the valley.

A massive shadow sailed out of the valley. It was a giant raptor, a bird of prey that stretched chains across. It didn't matter, but he still looked up into the clear blue sky. No natural bird could create the shadow, and nothing blocked the sky. It was a shadow without physical form, Tateshyúso.

Hyonèku laughed. "Pidòhu must have an announcement." Even though the wind whipped across their faces, they could easily hear each other while running.

Rutejìmo grunted and continued to run in a straight line. He didn't dare slow down, lest he lose both the speed from Shimusògo and the rapture that came with his closeness to the spirit.

The shadow circled around them and then came up behind them. As it did, the heat against their skin cooled in an instant. Cold winds buffeted them from all directions, disrupting the constant pressure against their faces. The plume of dust and sand broke apart, scattering in the shadow.

Rutejìmo almost stumbled without the constant pressure pushing him back. He caught himself and forced his feet forward. The power of Shimusògo remained strong in Tateshyúso's shadow, but without the wind and choking dust.

A mirage rippled in front of them. It looked like the shadows spun a humanoid form from the strands of darkness.

Both Hyonèku and Rutejìmo continued to run.

The shadow grew thicker and darker until it was a dark burn in the world. Peeling back, a translucent figure of a frail-looking man appeared in front of him. He remained in front of them, floating across the sands a respectful distance ahead of the Shimusògo.

"Great Shimusogo Rutejìmo." He bowed deeply before turning to Hyonèku. "And to you, Great Shimusogo Hyonèku."

Hyonèku laughed and shook his head. Proper etiquette demanded Pidòhu address Hyonèku first, but among friends, occasionally other relationships took precedence. And while Hyonèku was one of Rutejìmo's friends, Pidòhu shared a bond with Rutejìmo that was far closer.

The shadow of the frail man bowed again. "Just so you know, Great Shimusogo Mapábyo just arrived home."

The use of "Great Shimusogo" spoke volumes. Hyonèku stumbled and then laughed. "Yes! Bless the sands!"

"She is injured though, so be—"

"I don't care!" Hyonèku jumped and spun around before racing to catch up with Rutejìmo. There was a huge grin on his face.

"And, Jìmo?"

Rutejìmo looked at Pidòhu, his eyes trying to focus through the translucent man.

"Your brother is quite annoyed with you."

Rutejìmo frowned. "What? Why?"

Pidòhu bowed deeply with a smirk. His body wavered, and then Tateshyúso's shadow shot forward, taking Pidòhu with it. The sun bore down on them again, the wind buffeting Rutejìmo's face.