Chapter 26: Return to Wamifuko City

Ostracization is a subtle dance of willing ignorance and looking the other way.

—Tamin Gamanin, Freedom From Vo

With a groan, Rutejìmo slumped against the rough stone. Sweat dripped down his back and neck, soaking into his colorless clothes and prickling along his skin. The cold night air washed over him and muted the stench coming from Wamifuko City.

He wiped the sweat from his brow and leaned to the side to watch Mapábyo approach the city gates. They had been running since early morning, trying to get to the city before dark, but they were still a league away when the sun dipped below the horizon. Despite running so long, Mapábyo only had a few beads of sweat on her dark skin.

Rutejìmo clamped down on a brief surge of jealousy. Mapábyo had done so much for him in the last two weeks. Without her, he would have died in the desert or would be forced to remain in Monafuma Cliffs, a border town uncomfortably close to the pale-skinned foreigners.

"There you are, Great Shimusogo Mapábyo!" boomed Gichyòbi from behind Rutejìmo.

Rutejìmo jumped. He spun around to see the warrior striding toward him, inches away from the stone wall and on a collision course with Rutejìmo. Without thinking, Rutejìmo stumbled back toward Mapábyo.

Just as Rutejìmo drew even with Mapábyo, Gichyòbi took a step to the side and bowed to Mapábyo. "I'm glad to see you have returned safely to the city. The desert can be dangerous for a single courier."

Mapábyo bowed even deeper. "Thank you, Great Wamifuko Gichyòbi."

"Come, you must be exhausted from running all day."

Mapábyo gasped. "H-How did you know that? What... I just got here."

"The stones tell me many secrets. I would be honored if you stayed at my home for the night. The inns will be packed because of the sun festival today." Gichyòbi held out his arm and turned her into the city. That brought them both face to face with Rutejìmo.

Rutejìmo tried to step to the side, but guards were blocking his way. He flinched to avoid touching them. Spinning around, he looked for some way to avoid the guards, but the only way free was further into the city. It took him a heartbeat to realize that Gichyòbi was doing the same as the Tifukòmi did, leading without acknowledging his presence. Understanding, Rutejìmo walked backwards and to the side to let others pass so he could follow.

As soon as they did, Rutejìmo followed in their wake. He kept his head bowed and focused on the backs of their heels. He knew the route to Gichyòbi's home, a house made from stone near the center of town. It was the quieter part of the city, in an area the Wamifūko set aside for their own privacy.

"It was a shame you couldn't make it yesterday, Great Shimusogo Mapábyo. My boys and girl were hoping to meet you, but their grandmother insisted on taking them for the night. It will just be you, me, and c tonight."

"Kidóri?"

"My wife. She is looking forward to trying out a new recipe. I hope you don't mind." Gichyòbi snorted. "It smells great, but I'd rather have a strong lager or a piece of my new bread recipe, if you know what I mean."

"Um," Mapábyo said in a confused tone, "I don't."

Rutejìmo grinned. Gichyòbi had a massive cellar filled with wooden casks of beer from every part of the desert. He also baked as a hobby, collecting recipes from the various travelers who passed through the gates.

They walked for a few minutes and talked about the sun festival and the weather.

"Um," Mapábyo said in a pause during the conversation, "Great Wamifuko Gichyòbi?"