Chapter 9

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" I run into the back room, tying my apron behind my back quickly and Sarah laughs and runs over to me, helping me.

"What's up with you? Where've you been anyway?" I check to see if Alberto is around and turn around, grinning at her and holding up my hand.

"Got another tattoo." Her eyes go wide and she grabs my hand.

"Ow!"

"WHAT?! Why didn't you tell me?!" She shouts, glaring at me. I laugh and shrug.

"Spur of the moment decision. I went with Kimberley." Her eyes grow wider and her expression turns sad.

"Oh! How is she today? That black eye looked bad, Chez..." Sarah asks, biting her lip. I freeze.

I'm contemplating telling her. Not about Kimberley's father, but about our kiss. Sarah's my best friend, she knows me better than anyone. She'll know what to do, what I should say, what should happen...she always has the solution.

"Sarah? Something happened with me and her."

"What?" Sarah asks, her eyes going wide again. Then suddenly, she's angry, gripping my arms tightly.

"Cheryl, are you the one that gave her the black eye?!" She shouts. I look at her in complete shock.

"Are you daft?! Of course I'm not the one who did that! No, I...we kind of...we kissed. Twice." I finish lamely.

Sarah blinks rapidly. Then just stares at me.

"Whoa..." She says, stepping back from me. I'm trying to read her expression, but she's completely blank.

"Sarah, say something other than that!" I groan, my heart beating wildly. Is she angry? Or happy? WHY IS SHE SO BLANK RIGHT NOW?

And then, out of nowhere, she grins.

"Didn't know you swung that way, Chez." I glare at her, then reach for the table and grab a handful of sugar, throwing it at her. She laughs and ducks out of the way.

"Well, I mean, do you like her?" She asks, pinning my hands to my side. I smile.

"Yeah. I do. I really do, Sarah." She grins at me.

"I can see it, you know. When you're around her you just...light up. And so does she." I can't help but grin back at her and she wraps her arms around me, hugging me.

"Aww, Cheryl's in love with Kimberley!"

"Get off your rocker, we're not in love!" I shout, pushing her back with a laugh.

"You will be eventually!"

"I don't even know what's going on with us." I say, sighing. She punches my arm.

"Just see how it goes, Chez! No harm done in that!" I smile.

"Yeah...maybe."

**************************************************************************************

I groan, shoving the door open and Sarah trails behind me, grinning.

"You alright, Chez?"

"My feet hurt."

"Get Kimberley to come over and rub them."

"Shove off." I groan, and she roars with laughter. I go into the bathroom and take off the bandage on my hand, then wash the tattoo and rub some of the A&D cream on it.

"I'm going to bed." I shout to Sarah.

"Alright, but Robbie's coming over to watch some movies!"