☆ prologue ☆

Luke's POV

"Mum, I'm gay," I whisper, barely audible. Mum falls silent, pulling her arm, which was reaching out to comfort me away. I choke out a sob, watching her pale face jerk as if I slapped her. "Mum, I love you, don't hate m-"

"Baby, I love you unconditionally. Don't cry." She puts her arms back around me and I cry again, hugging her tightly. I knew Mum would be the right person to tell. The door downstairs closes and we both freeze. "I have to tell him." I nod my head, knowing that this won't end well.

"Luke? Liz? I'm home!" Dad calls out. I can hear the smile on his face and it makes me cringe. I get up, following Mum downstairs to where Dad is waiting for us. He pulls us both into a hug. Mum heaves a sigh, her face still pale from earlier. I don't want her to say it. "What's got everyone down? Has Lukey got girl troubles? Aw, my little man is growing up." I cringe again and he laughs.

"Andrew, honey, sit down, I have something to tell you," Mum says, leading him to the living room and shutting the door. I hear mutters from Mum, and loud yelling from Dad. I cower in the corner, knowing what's coming. I make a mental note to find Mum's foundation to hide the bruises tomorrow. Dad comes storming out of the living room, a storm on his face which makes my insides tighten.

"I will not have some fag living in my house!" he screams, pulling me up by the collar. I sob, not saying anything as he punches my stomach. His fist connecting to my eye is what takes me aback. He never touches my face, it's too obvious, too hard to pass off as just me being clumsy. Dad's not stupid, he knows how to hide the abuse.That's what's scary. I've never seen a mark on Mum, even though I know they're there. I'm snapped out of my thoughts when he throws me to the floor before storming out of the house.

Mum rushes to my side. She grips my hand and plants kisses all over my bruised and bleeding face. Her face contorts, tears rolling down her face when she opens her mouth to speak, nodding at the door.

"Go." Nodding, I grab my shoes and run out of the door, making sure to close it behind me. I know where I'm going. I'm going to the one place I'll be safe.

The Homeless Shelter for Teens.

this is really short because it's the prologue. the other chapters will be way longer, promise! :-)